Should I be releasing the inspector in ADX event??

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Should I be releasing the inspector in ADX event??

developer_cp

Hello,

I tried to manipulate when the inspector window is open, tried using the ADX NewInspector, I'm trying to programmatically suppress certain inspector window from being open.

I have the following 2 functions bind to the ADX events:

private void adxOutlookEvents_NewInspector(object sender, object _inspector, string folderName)
    {
        logger.Debug("adxOutlookEvents_NewInspector");
        try
        {
            string entryId = string.Empty;
            Inspector inspector = (_inspector as Inspector);

object obj = inspector.CurrentItem;
            if (obj != null && obj is MailItem)
            {
                MailItem item = obj as MailItem;

item.Open += new ItemEvents_10_OpenEventHandler(SupressMailItem_Open);

}
            Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obj);

Marshal.ReleaseComObject(inspector);
        }
        catch (System.Exception ex)
        {
            logger.Ex(ex);
        }
    }

private void adxOutlookEvents_InspectorActivate(object sender, object _inspector, string folderName)
    {
        logger.Debug("adxOutlookEvents_InspectorActivate");
        try
        {
            string entryId = string.Empty;

I purposely forced the item to close, but the InspectorActivate still got fired and when it tries to access the inspector, it throws an exception.
So, 2 questions...

1) Is there a way to suppress the InspectorActivate inside NewInspector?
2) Is the exception caused by me freeing the inspector inside NewInspector? Or is caused by there is no active inspector being opened since I suppressed it?

If the 2nd question is the answer (because no inspector is active after I suppressed it) then why it InspectorActivate still gets fired? Should it fires AFTER NewInspector is finished? I have a feeling that these 2 events are being fired at the same time regardless of the outcome in NewInspector.
Posted 22 Nov, 2016 14:36:12 Top
developer_cp

Err... It looks like I didn't really suppressed the inspector window.. It was the exception that stopped the inspector window from opening...

So i guess i'd like to know how to prevent Inspector window from opening inside NewInspector event.
Posted 22 Nov, 2016 14:43:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Eric,

In the NewInspector event, you retrieve the Outlook item being opened; you do this using Inspector.CurrentItem. Then you connect to events of that item. At https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/12/08/handle-outlook-item-reply-event/ and at https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/12/13/outlook-item-reply-inspector-activate/, you can find how to connect to events of an item and what to do when getting the Reply event. In your case you need to handle the Open event; it is mapped to the ProcessOpen event of the ADXOutlookItemEvents class. In the event handler, you can cancel the event - this prevents the inspector window from being displayed.

Usually, this approach is used to show a custom form instead of the built-in inspector form.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Nov, 2016 05:25:35 Top
developer_cp

How can I change the flow so that it would display a different item in the ProcessRead?
I've followed the sample project and intercepted the ProcessOpen, I basically created a copy of the MailItem internally and modified the content of the copy. Now I want to display the modified copy in the ProcessRead (i'm guessing this is the spot to display it?)

Ultimately, what i'm trying to do is to either avoid the "Do you want to save the changes?" dialog that pops up or make the modified copy as read only so that when they close it, no save prompt will presents to the user.
Posted 23 Nov, 2016 10:46:41 Top
developer_cp

Hum... I think I might be able to do it by using ProcessClose or maybe ProcessWrite event hook...
However, I'm pretty sure the Close event comes after the inspector is being closed...
Posted 23 Nov, 2016 11:18:06 Top
developer_cp

Any idea why I am getting:
COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.

For the ItemObj inside the event handler class? I didn't ReleaseComObject on the mail object since I need to connect to it.

private void adxOutlookEvents_NewInspector(object sender, object _inspector, string folderName)
{
    object obj = inspector.CurrentItem;
    if (obj != null && obj is MailItem)
    {
        MailItem mail = obj as MailItem;
        if (mail != null)
        {
            if (mail.MessageClass.ToUpper().Contains("TEST"))
            {
                logger.Debug("Attaching to test mail item");
                if (testMailHandler.IsConnected)
                    testMailHandler.RemoveConnection();

testMailHandler.ConnectTo(obj, true);
            }
            else
            {
                Marshal.ReleaseComObject(mail);
            }
        }
    }
}

In the ProcessOpen...

public override void ProcessOpen(ADXCancelEventArgs e)
        {
            logger.Debug("ProcessOpen");
            try
            {
                string entryId = (ItemObj as MailItem).EntryID;   <== dying here
                logger.Debug(entryId);
            }
            catch (System.Exception ex)
            {
                logger.Ex(ex);
            }

e.Cancel = true;
        }

Posted 23 Nov, 2016 11:24:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Eric,

developer_cp writes:
How can I change the flow so that it would display a different item in the ProcessRead?

ProcessRead doesn't relate to this. You can cancel opening the current item, create another item, save it (note it saves to the Drafts folder) and call MailItem.Open on it.

developer_cp writes:
Any idea why I am getting: COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.

You release that object somewhere. Note that calling ADXOutlookItemEvents.RemoveConnection release the COM object if you passed true to the second parameter of the ADXOutlookItemEvents.ConnectTo() method.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Nov, 2016 07:17:34 Top
developer_cp

Is there a way to open the saved item as a regular email? Right now when i open the newly created item, it opened as editable mail.
I tried saving it into different location and is the same thing. (ex: c:\temp\test.msg)

I've also tried to set "Sent" to true, but it still opens as editable email. How can I make it read only?
Posted 25 Nov, 2016 09:31:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Eric,

The Outlook object model doesn't allow you to achieve this. I suggest that you ask your question on the Outlook for Developers forum at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 25 Nov, 2016 09:48:45 Top
developer_cp

Update:

I end up doing the following to get what I wanted, hope this might help someone:

• Create a folder (ex: temp) under Inbox
  • Add a hook to InspectorActivate
  • On InspectorActivate, attach an ADXOutlookItemEvents object to the MailItem
  • In the ProcessOpen of ADXOutlookItemEvents, suppress the open event and COPY the MailItem into temp folder.
  • Do whatever you need to do with the copy and display that copy at the end of the ProcessOpen

Regarding to ADXOutlookItemEvents object, refer to the above suggestions by Andrei Smolin.
Posted 28 Nov, 2016 17:17:01 Top