Excel Add-In - A value used in the formula is of the wrong datatype

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel Add-In - A value used in the formula is of the wrong datatype

Larry Sater

I started using Add-In Express 2 weeks ago on a project and love it! Tonight I was doing some code cleanup and I'm sure I didn't modify the XLLModule internals (at least I hope), but now when I try to run my custom functions in Excel I get "A value used in the formula is of the wrong datatype). I have been in and out of Excel as I've been developing it a hundred times without a problem until now. I have 2 functions:

public static decimal CAPGETVALUE(string scenario, string netPrincipalCategory, string dataPiece, string dateContext)

and

public static decimal GLGETVALUE(string scenario, string account, string dateContext)

I can pass them strings in my Excel formula and I still get the error.
I have tried changing arguments to objects, Unregistering and Resgistering add-in, restarting PC.

Anybody who could help I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.
Posted 17 Nov, 2016 21:40:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the kind words!

Comment out all code in these functions and let them return a simple value. Do you get the issue in this case?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 06:35:26 Top
Larry Sater

To simplify things I created a new function TEST, see below.

public static decimal TEST(object testArg)
{
return 0;
}

In Excel, =TEST(7)

I put a breakpoint on "return 0;" run it from VisualStudio it does not hit breakpoint and same error from Excel's side (Value ... wrong datatype). Outside of Visual Studio, just Excel - same error. I'm pretty sure I have the parameter value setup properly.

I also Unregistered and Registered again.
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 08:51:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Larry,

Try to replace "decimal" with "int".

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 08:53:48 Top
Larry Sater

Sorry, same error.
I could easily recreate my solution, but I'd kind of like to know what is going on in case this happens again.
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 09:08:57 Top
Larry Sater

Okay, I think I found something - but I don't understand.
I had a static classes (AddInCommon) defined inside XLLContainer XLLModule.cs. I had the code for AddInCommon in the same project as my Add-in project. In my cleanup last night I moved (AddInCommon) to a separate project and added a reference to them in my Add-In. When I take away those references TEST now works.

public static AddInCommon _AddInCommon = new AddInCommon();

So I'm probably not doing something correctly here. I want to reference a class in my add-in and keep it around without having to re-instantiate every time the function is called.

Hope this makes sense.
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 09:31:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Larry,

Could you please send me the project for testing? You can find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 09:37:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Larry,

Thank you for sending me the file. You need to start with deleting the initializers of the properties declared in the XLL module.

The result should look like this:

public static A _A;
            public static G _G;
            public static C _C;

You need to initialize (set to null) them in the OnInitialize event of the add-in module. After this you'll find out that you need to give your Common assembly a strong name.

I don't know what causes the issue but I know that an initializer causes loading the assembly providing the type. Obviously this breaks something in your case.

If, at any time later, I find a better explanation, I'll post it here.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 10:36:44 Top
Larry Sater

Thank you very much! That got my code hooked back in. One more question if I may. When do I need to register/unregister the Add-In? Is it a one time thing for each add-in I create or do I need to do it when I create a new function? Or is it just registering Add-In Express binaries?

I really appreciate how quickly you answered my questions and got me back going. I need to demo this later this afternoon and I was kind of in a panic!
Posted 18 Nov, 2016 11:59:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Larry,

Registering means creating proper registry keys. To create the keys, Add-in Express creates an instance of the module to retrieve required information.

For a COM add-in, you need to re-register the add-in when - at design time - you create/remove COM-related things such as Custom Task Panes, Outlook Property pages, and additional modules. As to XLL, registering it once is usually enough; you will need to re-register it if you add/remove additional modules.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Nov, 2016 06:00:36 Top