adxloader vs. AddinExpress.Install.dll registration

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxloader vs. AddinExpress.Install.dll registration

Valentin Melamed

Hello,

I am very new to ADX and stumbled upon add-in registration and deployment problems. I have a solution with two projects that add simple one-button command bars. The first progject registers/installs using the AddinExpress.Install.dll method and all goes well with no warnings or errors but when I start Outlook the command bar does not show up. The second project uses adxloader.dll method and it also registers/installs with no problem and it works just fine. The registry values seem to be correct in both cases and I really don't know what else I can troubleshoot here.

Can you please help me figuring out what's wrong with the first project.

Thank you
Val Melamed
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 23:17:47 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Valentin.

What version of VS do you use?
Do you have other add-ins running in Outlook?
If so, what version of .NET Framework were they developed for?
Posted 22 Sep, 2006 08:26:10 Top
Valentin Melamed

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

I use VS 2003 and .NET 1.1. Just minutes ago I finished installing SP1 for VS2003 but that didn't make any difference.

As far as OL goes: it is OL from MS Office 2003 Pro with all updates from MS installed. No other plug-ins.

Overall it is a machine that I rebuilt in the last week: running Windows XP with all the latest service packs and updates installed. It just has MS Office, VS2003 SP1 and the usual stuff like Google toolbar for IE, WinZip... Pretty clean machine.

Besides my particular problem I would like to ask also what is the recommended method: the generated C++ shim, the loader or AddinExpress.Install.dll?

Thank you
Val
Posted 22 Sep, 2006 21:24:25 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Valentin.

I would suggest you to use the adxloader. I am going to improve the implementation of error handling in the next version of the adxloader.
So it will be more friendly.

As to the issue, please check the 'Disable Items' dialog in Outlook (Help->About->Disable Items). Probably the add-in is in the list of disabled add-ins.
Posted 25 Sep, 2006 08:24:46 Top