Unable to adjust the width of task pane

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to adjust the width of task pane

Amit B

Before I explain the problem I would like to briefly describe the task pane creation process in our application.
- Whenever a workbook opens we create a taskpane on right side and associate it with the opened file.
- If multiple workbooks are opened, then on active/deactivate event we hide the task pane for deactivated workbooks and show the task pane for only activated workbook.

So during this process of creation & show/hide, there is some clash of events which happened at some unknown condition, and cause the task pane to freeze completely. So by freezing I mean the task pane creation and show/hide works but user cannot minimize/maximize the task pane width. And the most frustrating part of whole problem is that this issue persist on closing/restarting excel and even on product reinstall/install.

Since this issue is coming random but we found in our initial investigation that if we add Active check before showing the task pane in activate event then the chances of getting this error is very minimal. I have no clue why is this so.

if (taskPane.Active == false)
{
taskPane.Show();
//Restore the last saved region state
taskPane.RegionState = taskPane.LastSessionAdxRegionState;
}

But this solve 90% of problem. In production we are still getting this error for a very few users.

So place where we need your help is to tell us were these settings persist on the machine and how can machine be recovered from this state? And is there any way to avoid the conflict?

Just for your information the only command which reset the registry and recovers the machine from this state if we run the unregister/register command in admin mode.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\****
regsvr32 /u /s adxloader.dll
regsvr32 /s adxloader.dll

Since most of the corporate user don't have admin right so command won't work for them. And they are also a bit hesitant in running such a batch file.

I also want to let you know that we were using regsvr32 way of production registration earlier. But recently we move to new registration process through adxregistrator /install which I believe doesn't fully reset the adx registry.

Let me know if you need further details.
Posted 27 Oct, 2016 11:22:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Amit,

Amit B writes:
then on active/deactivate event we hide the task pane for deactivated workbooks and show the task pane for only activated workbook.

Do you refer to Excel events? Or you mean the events of the task pane? Anyway, hiding the pane for a non-active workbook window doesn't seem really useful. We prefer disabling controls on the pane if this is required. Maybe I miss something?

If you still need to hide the pane, try to avoid using the RegionState property. I wonder if this helps. BTW, in what event do you set it? Alternatively, you can try to set the RegionState property in the ADXBeforeTaskPaneShow event.

Amit B writes:
So by freezing I mean the task pane creation and show/hide works but user cannot minimize/maximize the task pane width.

Still, I don't understand the description. Could you please send us a video? You can use Jing; it's free.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Oct, 2016 09:34:30 Top
Amit B

Yeah, it is a bit confusing to explain. I don't have a machine where this issue is reproducible but I will let you know as soon as our QA reproduced it again.

The events which I referred above are excel activate/deactivate event.

Meanwhile can you tell me in which part of registry adx remembers LastSessionAdxRegionState?
Posted 28 Oct, 2016 09:47:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Amit,

Okay, I'll wait.

Amit B writes:
Meanwhile can you tell me in which part of registry adx remembers LastSessionAdxRegionState?

See HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\{your add-in}\ADXXOL\.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Oct, 2016 09:11:54 Top