Visual Studio 2013 issue with addin express

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Visual Studio 2013 issue with addin express

Kyle Johnson

I'm currently trying to add a new button to an existing addin that currently works. When I view the designer of the AddinModule.cs file that was created, it gives me an error "The designer loader did not provide a root component but has not indicated why." This is the first problem that I run into. To my knowledge that is the only way to effectively add a new component is through the design view.

If I ignore that and continue I get to the design but it only shows the image lists that were there, and the events for each of the office products that the addin express are hooked into. But not any of the commandBarButtons or the commandbars themselves. I try to add a new one then i get an "Object is not set to the instance of an object." I looked around google, and the forums and didn't find anything that I was experiencing or solutions for my problem , I am unsure if it's a version issue , but we just got a new license and are using VS 2013, or if it's on visual studios end.

Thanks for any help that is offered.
Posted 21 Oct, 2016 14:01:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kyle,

Would it work if you close the designer, rebuild the project and open it again?

Please make sure all of the project's references are valid and all Add-in Express references point to the currently installed Add-in Express version.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 24 Oct, 2016 08:33:49 Top
Kyle Johnson

Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version of Visual Studio this is supported on? I have both 2015 and 2013 and I just want to make sure I'm using one that it will work with in the first place. Also for 2013 I have ultimate, premium and professional available to use, is there one that would work best?
Posted 25 Oct, 2016 13:33:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kyle,

Supported are VS 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015. For Add-in Express there's no difference whether you use Ultimate, Premium, Professional, and Community. Using an Express edition may be restricting; say, Add-in Express won't be able to create a setup project.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Oct, 2016 04:56:39 Top
Kyle Johnson

Alright, I actually just got VS 2015 and tried loading the designer on there and I get a System.ComponentModel.Design.ExceptionCollection exception. This doesn't seem very helpful, is there a way that you know of that I could easily determine a more definitive exception as to why when I double click the generated AddinModule.cs file that I get this error? I should mention I'm new to working on this, the person who originally created this is no longer available.
Posted 26 Oct, 2016 10:32:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Kyle,

Unfortunately, design-time exceptions aren't really useful. At least, this is true for me.

I would try to comment out code fragments in the InitializeComponent method which is called from the constructor of your add-in module. You can also send it to me (plus the exception info). Maybe, I'll be able to point to suspicious code fragments. You can find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Note that opening the designer may modify the InitializeComponent method; keep a copy of it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Oct, 2016 07:10:26 Top
Kyle Johnson

You were actually correct in your first post about the correct references, turns out whoever wrote this the first time had the references to the ADX libraries hardcoded and they needed to be wiped out to add the new ones, the designer loads! Finally it loads! Thanks again for your responses. I now know that any questions I have they can be solved here by just asking.
Posted 27 Oct, 2016 07:15:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Kyle! :)

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Oct, 2016 07:51:47 Top