Outlook 2000 doesn't exit on close when using ADX

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook 2000 doesn't exit on close when using ADX

Igor Friedrich

Im using ADX Extensions to Develop Outlook Add-Ins. I use Inspector panes in mail and appointment inspector windows. All works fine, but when an inspector pane was shown once then the Outlook 2000 doesn't exit when I close it. The message window "Outlook is closing .." (translated from German) remains on the screen forever.
I have read several topics in this forum regarding to this problem, but the posted solution (reinstalling outlook from scratch and applying several hotfixes) is insufficient to me. I cant assure, that these Hotfixes are installed on my customers computers und i cant assure that they are not overriden in the future.
Has anybody any ideas how this problem could be solved without applying the hotfixes?

Thx
Igor Friedrich
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 04:15:30 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Igor,

Do you use any Outlook objects in your project (MAPIFolder, Inspector or something)?
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 05:06:34 Top
Igor Friedrich

Hello Fedor,

yes I use Outlook objects in my project. I create Mails and Appointments, store my data in their UserProperties, register event handlers and search in Folders for mails. I use Addin Express' CommandBars und ADX Inspector panes.
Inspector Panes are not shared and each pane contains about 20 controls.
The Outlook shutdown problem appears only when an inspector pane has been shown. When i only start Outlook and then close it without showing an Inspector with pane, then Outlook exits normally.
All References to OOM Objects are set to null before exit. I have tried several PIA versions (2000, 2002, 2003) using only the features present in Outlook 2000, but the problem appears with each of them. Later Versions of Outlook work fine.
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 05:27:41 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Do you use Marshal.ReleaseComObject(...) before releasing references?
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 06:52:37 Top
Igor Friedrich

No. I will try this now.
Posted 22 Sep, 2006 03:49:14 Top
Igor Friedrich

Hello Fedor,

thank you for your hint. I had a MailItem reference in one of my classes. When the mail inspector is closing i now call Marshal.ReleaseComObject(mail) and Marshal.ReleaseComObject(mail.GetInspector). The "Outlook is shutting down..." message window disappears now.
However Outlook still stays in memory consuming about 50 MB. I will search for other references and try to free them.
Posted 27 Sep, 2006 04:20:20 Top