ADXTaskPane Minimum Width + Overlay

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ADXTaskPane Minimum Width + Overlay

OliverM

I tried to set a minimum width for a left docked ADXTaskPane but the setting is perfectly ignored at runtime.
Catching a width change using the BeginResize/EndResize events is not an option as they both do not fire.
SizeChanged event does fire but messes up the form completely when setting the width there.

I very much like the the overlay functionality the ADXTaskPane provides but at least in one scenario it does not work correctly. Consider the following scenario:
- Hide the ADXTaskPane by clicking on the "dotted" mini-button or by doubleclicking anywhere on the splitter.
- Next open a new workbook. The new book correctly shows a minimized ADXTaskpane.
- Next try to show the ADXTaskPane in the new book in overlay mode by clicking on the caption or icon.
- The window is drawn but it is empty!
- Next click on any cell to make the overlay disappear.
- Next click on the "dotted" mini-button and show the ADXTaskPane.
- Next click on the "dotted" mini-button and hide the ADXTaskPane.
- Next try to show the ADXTaskPane in the new book in overlay mode by clicking on the caption or icon.
- Now everything works as designed and the overlay window is no longer empty.

And finally a question regarding the overlay window position on the Y-axis. The upper left corner of the overlay window resides right under the QAT and is perfectly hiding the following ribbon tabs (Pane width = 330) FILE, INSERT, PAGELAYOUT and FORMULAS. Wouldn't it be better to move it a bit down to ensure it never hides any ribbon tabs?
Posted 20 Sep, 2016 06:22:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

OliverM writes:
- Hide the ADXTaskPane by clicking on the "dotted" mini-button or by doubleclicking anywhere on the splitter.
- Next open a new workbook. The new book correctly shows a minimized ADXTaskpane.

The "dotted" mini button transfers the pane form the Normal state to the Hidden state. Your "correctly shows a minimized ADXTaskpane" contradicts to the first item. If read "correctly shows a *hidden* ADXTaskpane" instead; the contradiction occurs on the next step: the overlay mode is only available from the *minimized* state.

Could you please send us a video showing the problem (you can use Jing; it's free) and the project used?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Sep, 2016 09:36:22 Top
OliverM

Hi Andrei,

Thank you for the feedback. You are of course right the line should read: - Next open a new workbook. The new book correctly shows a hidden ADXTaskpane.

MEA CULPA, it is NOT the dotted mini button I am clicking, it is the double arrow in the form header.

To clarify the confusion, I followed your recommendation and taped it. I will send the video to the support email address.
Posted 20 Sep, 2016 10:05:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for sending us the video. The panes shouldn't work in this way. Does the same issue occur if you use an empty add-in showing an empty form in the same region?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Sep, 2016 10:25:13 Top
OliverM

Hi Andrei,

I will create a demo add-in with an empty pane using the same settings I use in my project.
Will send it over somewhen this evening.
Posted 20 Sep, 2016 10:31:37 Top
OliverM

Hi Andrei,

I created a new add-in project and added an empty pane. This pane behaves completely different than the one in my project. No empty window in overlay mode neither any hiding of ribbon tabs.

Thus I started to boil the issue down line by line and to cut a long story short here you go width the troublemaker:

private void ADXExcelTaskPane1_Activated(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    Width = 330;
}

I tested setting the text property in the Activated event and that works ok but setting the width reliably produces the odd behaviour you have seen in the video.
Posted 21 Sep, 2016 05:23:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

Thank you. We are aware of this issue. We don't have a fix for this issue. A workaround is to set the width in the Deactivated event.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Sep, 2016 07:40:36 Top
OliverM

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the workaround. Is there also a workaround available for the MinimumWidth issue?
Posted 21 Sep, 2016 07:43:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You can handle the ADXSplitterMove event of the pane class to limiting the user in changing the pane's size.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Sep, 2016 07:51:09 Top
OliverM

Works great, thank you!
Posted 21 Sep, 2016 07:57:57 Top