COM exception upgrading to Visual Studio 2015

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Marcus Datascout

Hello Lads,

I've just upgraded to VS 2015 and I'm getting get a COM exception when I load an existing Add-In Express project.

Here's the sequence of events:

1. Uninstalled Add-In Express
2. Uninstalled VS 2102
3. Installed VS 2015
4. Installed Add-In Express v8.2.4371
5. Opened existing Add-In Express project
6. Open an existing (Word) Advanced Task Pane and voila the following exception:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
(Call Stack is at the end of this post)

The pane is blank (all the controls have disappeared)

Other observations:
- there are no missing/broken references
- All other Project properties "look" as expected
- "Make Assembly COM-Visible" is checked
- If I add a new ADXWordTaskPane1 there is no exception
- Ironically enough the project compiles

I suspect I'm missing something fundamental but I haven't been able to identify it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers - Marcus

- Call Stack
Instances of this error (1)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.Implementation.Utilities.Exceptions.ThrowEFail()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.Implementation.CodeModel.CodeTypeRef.LookupTypeSymbol()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.Implementation.CodeModel.CodeTypeRef.get_TypeKind()
at EnvDTE.CodeTypeRef.get_TypeKind()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.GetUrtTypeFromVsType(CodeTypeRef vsType)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.OnTypePopulateMembers(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.MergedCodeDomParser.CodeTypeDeclarationPopulator.OnPopulateMembers(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeTypeDeclaration.get_Members()
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)
Posted 08 Sep, 2016 05:45:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Marcus,

Can it be that you haven't installed some components that your project uses?

Also, make sure that Add-in Express references don't specify a specific Add-in Express version (which isn't installed on your machine). Then rebuild the project and check compile-time errors.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Sep, 2016 07:47:29 Top
Marcus Datascout

Hello Andrei,

I've solved this issue and thought I'd share the outcome for others who may experience similar symptoms.

To re-iterate, I simply uninstalled VS2012 and Add-In Express, then installed VS2015 and the same version of Add-In express I had uninstalled. There were no other 3rd party components involved.

The ADX add-in - which worked that same morning under VS2012 - now resulted in the following error upon opening:
"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"

You wouldn't believe how many different variations of this error I found - each with a different resolution.

In this instance the solution was ridiculously simple.

Somewhere along the way, my project had a reference to itself!

I checked the proj file from a back-up. This self-reference was already there under VS2012.
I don't know how it happened, but while it was not an issue for VS2012, it was a problem for VS2015.

So if you upgrade to VS2015 and find the error above and your forms or Add-In Express panes are all blank with no controls visible, check your references to see if there is a reference to your project's own DLL. If there is, simply delete it.

(I'm still scratching my head how it happened!)

Andrei, please accept my sincere apologies for even *thinking* it could have been a issue with ADX :)

All the best, Marcus
Posted 09 Sep, 2016 06:08:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Marcus! What a gem! )))

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Sep, 2016 07:30:06 Top