Outlook add-in not loading when debugging from Visual Studio

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook add-in not loading when debugging from Visual Studio

tadams

Hi,

I have been trying to fix this for a while but can't figure out why my add-in is not being loaded into Outlook 2016 when debugging from Visual Studio 2015, it was working fine last week so something must have changed...I just don't know what.

Things I have checked:

- it is not being disabled, load behaviour is 3
- there is nothing in the Outlook resiliency registry location
- have registered it correctly via right click -> Add-in Express -> Register, then using https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-addins.php have located the following registry entries:
* HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\Description
* HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\FriendlyName
* HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\LoadBehavior (3)
* HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\CommandLineSafe (0)
* HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\(Default)

* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\Description
* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\FriendlyName
* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\LoadBehavior (3)
* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\CommandLineSafe (0)
* HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\myAddin.AddinModule\(Default)

* HKCR\myAddin.AddinModule\CLSID\(Default) (myID)
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\InprocServer32\(Default) (adxloader64.dll path)
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\InprocServer32\Assembley
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\InprocServer32\Class
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\InprocServer32\RuntimVersion
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\InprocServer32\ThreadingModel
* HKLM\CLSID\[myID]\Progid\myAddin.AddinModule

- interestingly no adxloader or adxregistrator.log is being created when I register the add-in from within VS, and the add-in doesn't even attempt to load it seems which is why no adxloader log is created
- code signing seems fine, no errors or invalid certificates

It looks like something maybe isn't being correctly added to the registry since Outlook isn't even finding the add-in to load. I can manually add the add-in from within Outlook COM Add-ins menu and browsing to the adxloader.dll in my bin folder, so loading is fine once it tries.

Any thoughts on other things I can check?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted 23 Aug, 2016 06:08:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tom,

Please check the File | Options | Add-ins dialog: under what heading your add-in is displayed? If you select it, does it display anything of value in the Description field?
If you select your add-in in the COM add-ins dialog, what text is displayed in the label below the list of add-ins?

I assume your add-in is per-machine, correct? Did you modify the RegisterForAllUsers peoprty of the add-in module recently?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Aug, 2016 06:46:48 Top
tadams

Hi Andrei,

My add-in doesn't even register with Outlook so it isn't found in the Add-ins dialog. Yes the add-in is per machine installation, the RegisterForAllUsers property is set to True as it has always been.

I've tested also unregistering it and checking that the registry entries are all correctly removed from the locations listed above, are there any other locations that I should check?

It looks like Outlook isn't reading the location of the adxloader.dll, how can I confirm whether this is indeed the cause?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted 23 Aug, 2016 06:56:27 Top
tadams

Hi,

Do you have any other ideas of things that I can check / test to see why the add-in isn't registering properly from within Visual Studio?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted 24 Aug, 2016 01:58:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tom,

Try to unregister your add-in. If it is also installed, uninstall it. Then check if there are any traces of it in the UI of the Office host application and in the registry. Finally, start Visual Studio via the "Run as administrator" command and register the add-in. Does this help?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 24 Aug, 2016 02:14:30 Top