Outlook Inspector Region randomly missing

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Inspector Region randomly missing

Josh Norris

Hard to explain this one, and it doesn't happen often so it's impossible to reproduce.

Using Regions not full Add-in express.

I have two inspector regions in outlook (for mail composing). 99.9% of the time they show just fine. VERY occasionally, they won't show up at all. If one is not there then the other won't be there either which leads me to believe that this might be an add-in express issue. If the user saves the draft and reopens the draft later, the regions will show. If the user composes a new message, the regions will show.

I was hoping that there was some kind of logging that I could enable that would help me track this down, but it seems like there isn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 11 Jul, 2016 09:58:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Josh,

What Add-in Express build are you using? In what layout(s) do you show the form(s)?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Jul, 2016 10:09:31 Top
Josh Norris

Build: 3.2.2421.2010

The two form sections are TopSubpane and RightSubpane
Posted 11 Jul, 2016 10:22:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Josh,

If possible, we would like to have some code showing the logic of showing/hiding the forms. We think this could help us find the reason. You can send us emails to the support email address; find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Jul, 2016 04:03:11 Top
Josh Norris

Yeah, there's nothing there. There is no special logic on either of these two forms that would purposely hide it. I have 3 other forms which DO use some special logic, but not these specific ones. I have a base class which all of my custom forms use which extend from ADXOlForm. Neither of these two forms override ShouldDisplay, and no where else in my code do I set the Visible property of the form.

So I'm afraid this won't be very helpful for you.

protected virtual bool ShouldDisplay()
    {
      return true;
    }

private void BeforeFormShowHandler()
    {
      ADXBeforeFormShow -= BeforeFormShowHandler;
      if (!ShouldDisplay())
      {
        Visible = false;
        Enabled = false;
        return;
      }
    }
Posted 12 Jul, 2016 10:21:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Josh,

Consider adding a way for the end user to invoke AddinExpress.OL.Log.ShowMessages() method. It shows a log which may be of help. When the issue occurs, get the log, save it to a file and send the file to the support email address (see {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt). Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Do you use Application.DoEvents in your code?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jul, 2016 06:06:24 Top
Josh Norris

No, I don't use Application.DoEvents()

I've pushed my code out that periodically calls AddinExpress.OL.Log.GetMessages() and pushes it to file, then calls ClearMessages. The next time somebody reports this, I'll drop it in an email to you guys.
Posted 14 Jul, 2016 10:05:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jul, 2016 10:06:49 Top