Other 3rd party addins using Item.Send event conflict with our addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Other 3rd party addins using Item.Send event conflict with our addin

tadams

Hi,

We are having an issue with one of our clients where they have two other addins that also trigger off the item send event. For some reason when our addin is installed it affects the order that these two other addins function in.

Normal order:
1. Payne MetaData Assistant - shows popup asking user if they want to clean the attachment of metadata
2. Open Text DMOutlook - shows a popup asking if the user wants to file the email on sending

Order if our addin is installed:
1. Open Text DMOutlook
2. Payne MetaData Assistant

Our addin ProgID begins with "C" and so technically should process last (assuming LIFO execution order of addins), however it seems our addin is trying to execute at the same time as the other two, and this is therefore affecting the order.

I have run logging during the email send event, and I can see that adxOutlookEvents_ItemSend event fires and our code starts executing before the first popup from Open Text DMOutlook, and then when I close that popup it then shows the next popup and doesn't run the rest of our code.

Is there anyway to force our addin to wait until other addins have finished processing, or have you seen problems like this before and know of fixes for them?

Really appreciate any help you can give here!

Many thanks,
Tom
Posted 21 Apr, 2016 06:33:34 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tom,

We haven't got such reports. It isn't possible to wait for other add-ins as the event is given to each add-in in turn. Also, I would like that you understand that there's no official statement from Microsoft about the order in which the events are given to add-ins. So, you can play with the ProgId of your add-in but there's no guarantee that this will work.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 Apr, 2016 08:50:47 Top