Excel task pane minimizes or disappears when an Excel file is opened in the same instance of Excel

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel task pane minimizes or disappears when an Excel file is opened in the same instance of Excel

David R.

Good day,

I just upgraded from v700-b4023 to v801-b4350 and for the most part the upgrade has worked well, except for one new behaviour:

- using ExcelTaskPanes with an instance of Excel open and an ExcelTaskPane shown, when I open an Excel file/workbook via File->Open, or by double clicking an Excel file from a folder the ExcelTaskPane disappears.
- then when I close the Excel file/workbook, but not the Excel instance, and create a new blank workbook the ExcelTaskPane reappears.
- next, I will open the same Excel file/workbook and this time the ExcelTaskPane does not disappear.
- then when I close the open workbook, the ExcelTaskPane disappears
- when I create a new blank workbook the ExcelTaskPane reappears

When the ExcelTaskPane disappears and then reappears, the default constructor of the ExcelTaskPane is being called, so the ExcelTaskPane is not being hidden when it disappears, rather it appears to be closed, and then a new instance is created with the creation of a new Excel workbook.

It seems that the ExcelTaskPane is tied to a workbook instance in v8, but it in v7 the ExcelTaskPane was tied to the instance of Excel. Is there a new setting in v8 that has changed the behaviour from v7 because I need Add-In-Express to return to its previous behaviour?

Thanks
Posted 14 Mar, 2016 09:34:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

At the moment I can't say anything about this problem. We had several issues with 8.1.4350. In a couple of minutes I'll send you a build fixing these issues. Please let me know if the issues you describe persist if you install the new build and you use an add-in project with no code.

What Excel version do you use for tests? What Excel version did you use with Add-in Express version 7?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Mar, 2016 03:45:38 Top
David R.

The program is hosted in Office 2007, and 2010.

Thanks for the new build. I will try it out.
Posted 15 Mar, 2016 08:00:29 Top
David R.

Thanks for the new build. My initial tests show that the ExcelTaskPane is no longer disappearing under the circumstances described above.
Posted 15 Mar, 2016 13:45:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for letting us know!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Mar, 2016 01:25:13 Top