Wix Installer Error - Wrong downloader hash. Task name: ParseXML

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Wix Installer Error - Wrong downloader hash. Task name: ParseXML
Wix Installer 
Derek Wolf

We recently upgraded to version 8 of the Add-In Express for Office & .Net previously we had deployed our Excel Add-In Production using version 7.7.*.

For unknown reasons, when we attempt to run our downloader exe (ClickTwice?) via a bootstrap installer (URI)... The app starts but then throws the following exception: "Wrong downloader hash. Task name: ParseXML"

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the root cause is for this error?

-Derek
Posted 18 Dec, 2015 12:33:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Derek,

This error says that the hash of the downloader executable doesn't match the hash set in the version_info.xml file. Do you use the Publish wizard or adxpublisher.exe to publish you project?
Posted 22 Dec, 2015 02:37:39 Top
Derek Wolf

The installation package was built using the Publish wizard... I believe the original setup project was built out manually in the VS solution. We had previously published successfully following the same processing steps... In a nutshell, we just click the Publish menu option from within the Add-In Express menu functions... The only real change I am aware of is that we upgraded from version 7 to version 8. From reviewing the content of the version_info file... There appear to be some new hash attributes that don't exist in the version file created when we had version 7 installed.

Version 8 Content - version_info.xml
-----
<version name="10.999.12180" installationUrl="https://webs.website.com/Download_App/" productCode="{FB5DD206-C57E-487E-B3C2-C6101CA57A66}" updateType="bootstrapper">
<files msi="CF_App_Setup" hash="57235FDF74F43EC6B9C480301860FE9B">
<file hash="C61958A628FAD145AB727A18CA8AD404">CF_App_Setup.msi</file>
</files>
<preferences>
<showInstallUI>true</showInstallUI>
<showUninstallUI>false</showUninstallUI>
<webPage>
</webPage>
<showDownloaderWindow>true</showDownloaderWindow>
<showRunningApplicationsWarning>true</showRunningApplicationsWarning>
</preferences>
</version>

Version 7 Content - version_info.xml
-----
<version name="9.999.7220" installationUrl="https://webs.website.com/Download_App/" productCode="{0A4CDA99-33C6-47D4-A098-F46D26B1D74B}" updateType="bootstrapper">
<files msi="CF_App_Setup" customActionAssembly="" customActionClass="">
<file>CF_App_Setup.msi</file>
</files>
<preferences>
<showInstallUI>true</showInstallUI>
<showUninstallUI>false</showUninstallUI>
<webPage>
</webPage>
<showDownloaderWindow>true</showDownloaderWindow>
<showRunningApplicationsWarning>true</showRunningApplicationsWarning>
</preferences>
</version>
Posted 22 Dec, 2015 09:51:29 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Derek,

It is a bit abnormal situation. Do you change the downloader file of your project after publishing (e.g. digitally sign)? Or do you change the contents of the version_info.xml file after publishing?

Could you please try to do the following:
1. Click the Install button in the Publish wizard immediately after publishing. Does the installation work without the error?
2. Try to clear Temporary Internet files, probably either downloader or version_info.xml was cached in your system. Then try to install the update.
3. Please send your downloader file to us, we will recalculate its hash and compare with the one from your post above.
Posted 22 Dec, 2015 10:51:28 Top
Derek Wolf

Could you please try to do the following:
1. Click the Install button in the Publish wizard immediately after publishing. Does the installation work without the error? Response: Works correctly.
2. Try to clear Temporary Internet files, probably either downloader or version_info.xml was cached in your system. Then try to install the update. Response: Cleared temp file, error still present.
3. Please send your downloader file to us, we will recalculate its hash and compare with the one from your post above. Response: Sent to support.
Posted 22 Dec, 2015 13:03:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Derek,

The correct hash of your downloader is 94226ab667149dd57387276527a19f79. But the version_info.xml file contains 57235FDF74F43EC6B9C480301860FE9B. Also the product version is 15.223.12140.0. However the version_info.xml file requires 10.999.12180. Do you modify/sign the downloader file after you publish the project? Please check if you uploaded the correct installation files to the server.
Posted 23 Dec, 2015 05:46:15 Top
Derek Wolf

I modified the version information in the xml above when I submitted the post. I just wanted to include the xml snippet to point out that the version 8 content contains the hash attribute where as version 7 does not contain the hash attribute. I was not sure if that made any difference...

We do not sign the downloader file after it is published... We generate the output from the publish menu option on a build machine then xcopy the binaries to a prod/qa server along with manually modifying the version_info.xml file. Those were the steps we used when we had version 7 of the Add-In Express component installed.

Is there anything wrong with those steps?

I am guessing with version 8 if we published directly to our prod server that it probably would work ok. I was finally able to get the publish feature to work successfully on my dev machine provided that I did not alter/modify the version_info.xml file. I am just abit confused because I am fairly certain in the past that we just xcopy the binaries and manually updated the version_info.xml file on the target server.

Any additional thoughts?
Posted 23 Dec, 2015 13:37:34 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Derek,

We generate the output from the publish menu option on a build machine then xcopy the binaries to a prod/qa server along with manually modifying the version_info.xml file

What xml do you manually modify in version_info.xml? This file is not designed to be modified manually.
Posted 24 Dec, 2015 06:33:09 Top
Derek Wolf

For each release of our product, we would just add the appropriate new version section. We would xcopy the binaries to the target server but manually modify the version_info.xml to include our latest product version.

Add the following element for our latest release... <version></version>
Posted 24 Dec, 2015 09:27:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Derek,

The latest version of Add-in Express checks hashes of all downloaded files. So please use the Publish wizard or adxpublisher.exe tool to generate/update the version_info.xml file.
Posted 24 Dec, 2015 10:32:15 Top