What prerequisites should I select?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

What prerequisites should I select?
product not working at client site, possible prerequisites problem 
Paul Varcoe

I have an excel addin that works on my dev machine in both code and in released form.

It used to also work at the client's site, but has stopped working. The only new thing I added was an ArrayList object, so I am wondering if adding using System.Collections means I have to add a prerequisite?

I already had using System.Collections.Generic before, but had to add the new using clause to allow ArrayList.

In general, how do you know when to add one anyway?
Posted 01 Dec, 2015 08:43:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Paul,

I don't think the issue relates to a missing prerequisite; ArrayList type is declared in mscorlib.dll.

Could you please reinstall your add-in, start the host application and check if there are errors in adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log files? Make sure that adxloader.log is updated when you start the host application after reinstalling the add-in.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 01 Dec, 2015 09:28:15 Top
Paul Varcoe

Hi and thanks for responding so amazingly fast!

Do you mean the logs on my PC or on the client PC?

In which folder do the logs reside? I could not find these files with a search.

To clarify:

The addin installs OK on client machines, and some features work, but it throws an exception near where the ArrayList is used. I can't yet tell exactly where as I am working remotely. The same code works just fine on my dev machine.

In general, I always think if it works on my machine but not at the client, then the code is OK and the environment is not, which is why I suspected a pre-requisite.
Posted 01 Dec, 2015 10:40:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Paul,

Please check sections "Get details about add-in registration/unregistration" and "Get details about add-in loading", see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC. Please provide the logs from the machine where the issue occurs.

Paul Varcoe writes:
The addin installs OK on client machines, and some features work, but it throws an exception near where the ArrayList is used

Ah ha, that's the different issue I believe. I suggest that you debug your code. You can add a number of debug messages to your code; use System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(). You collect the messages at run time using DebugView (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx). If the issue isn't reproducible on your machine, you could instruct the customer to start DebugView and provide you with the log.

Should you need prerequisites, your add-in wouldn't load and this should be reflected in the logs.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 01 Dec, 2015 11:09:27 Top
Paul Varcoe

Ok that is an excellent answer. I will try to understand how to get the customer to start debugview.
Posted 01 Dec, 2015 12:03:45 Top