TargetInvocation Exceptions in OutlookUtils.GetDefaultFolder()

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

TargetInvocation Exceptions in OutlookUtils.GetDefaultFolder()

Ralph Smith

In trying to speed up the load time of our plugin, we are looking to eliminate first-time exceptions. 90% of those exceptions ( we see about 10-20 at startup ) are TargetInvocation Exceptions in the OutlookUtils.GetDefaultFolder().

This is not a function we call directly, but rather under the Outlook Add-in Express code.

A partial stack from one of the caught exceptions looks like...
AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll!AddinExpress.OL.OutlookUtils.GetDefaultFolder(object OutlookAppObj = {System.__ComObject}, AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlDefaultFolders DefaultFolder = olPublicFoldersAllPublicFolders) + 0x121 bytes
AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll!AddinExpress.OL.OutlookUtils.IsPublicFolders(object OutlookAppObj = {System.__ComObject}, object FolderObj = {System.__ComObject}) + 0x63 bytes
AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll!AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlFormsManager.ProcessRootFoldersWebViewPane() + 0x20e bytes
AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll!AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlFormsManager.RefreshFolderSettings() + 0xa3 bytes

Any help getting rid of those exceptions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted 29 Aug, 2006 13:31:09 Top
David Ing

Yes, please (please) take a look at this soon.

On my profiling I see OutlookUtils::IsPublicFoldersAllPublicFolders and GetDefaultFolder at the startup of the four main forms I use (only show one at a time) being called 112 times (one hundred and twelve).

With the exceptions it adds about 30 seconds to my addins startup on a fast machine. Really annoys the customers of my addin.

On some systems (still trying to track this down, but is most common in corporate Exchange environments, possible related to digital signature use) the delays actually 'lock up' the main Outlook.exe for around 3+ minutes, which is a disaster.

Obviously all is not well in this area, and I am desperate for help...

PS I see this in AddinExpress.OL.2003.dll as well as AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll
Posted 29 Aug, 2006 14:16:19 Top
David Ing

Hi,

Is there a chance this will be looked at soon?

I need to decide in the next couple of days or not if I can continue to use the ADX forms.

Thanks for any help.
Posted 01 Sep, 2006 07:14:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi David.

The fact is that the 'ADX Extensions for Outlook' team is on vacation till monday. I am sure our guys will help soon. Please wait a little.
Posted 01 Sep, 2006 07:27:35 Top
David Ing

Ah - ok, I understand. Thanks for the update.
Posted 01 Sep, 2006 08:13:18 Top