"Hello World" Toolbar example?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"Hello World" Toolbar example?

Ralph Smith

Hello,

I would like to create a button for my Outlook
addin so the user can configure some options.

Does anyone have a simple example of an Outlook
toolbar button?

Thanks
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 11:32:59 Top
Ralph Smith

I've seen references to...

(i)AdxCommandBar* classes in the forum, but I can't find documentation anywhere. Searched the ADX and the Outlook Express manuals.

(ii) AdxOlInspectorCommandBar and AdxOlExplorerCommandBar. Are there any others? Where can I get documentation for these 2 classes.

I am using the latest version of Outlook Express with the new loader.

Thanks
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 14:22:52 Top
Ralph Smith

I am still looking. A Google search came up with...
http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-vsto/outlook-addins-commandbars.php

But the page does not say what the difference between

(i) Command Bar
(ii)Inspector Command Bar
(iii)Explorer Command Bar

What are the differences?
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 14:38:17 Top
Esteban Astudillo

Hi Ralph,

I don't work for Afalina and I'm not the most experienced Office developer either, but I know the frustration when you start playing with ADX and you don't know where or how to do that.

I'd recommend that you look at the examples that come with ADX. Assuming you have the package installed, go to Start / Programs / AfalinaSoft and you will see what I mean.

Also, it looks like before playing with ADX you also need to brush up your Office development concepts.

Just a few quick things:
- Explorer is Outlook's main window where the fodlers are listed
- Inspector is Outlook's window used for an item (Mail, Calendar, Task, etc), which is open when you double click one item in the list or start composing a new message, for example.
- CommandBar is the office toolbar. There are Inspector and Explorer CommandBars depending on where they are located.

ADX builds on top of this model to encapsulate some of the complexities associated with add-in development.

I'd recommend you explore and get familiar with the content of this URL:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_2003_ta/html/odc_landoffice03_vba.asp

PS: As far as I know ADX does not support Outlook Express (you mentioned above, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant)

Cheers,
Esteban
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 15:06:09 Top
Ralph Smith

Thanks a lot for the pointers. I'll read up that link.

The only demo I have installed under there is 'ADX Toys'. But that might help.

Meant 'Outlook Add-in Express' not 'Outlook Express', sorry.

PS. Do you know how to access the active custom form from a toolbar event? So that a method can be called from that form?
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 15:20:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ralph.

To access the active form you can use the CurrentForm property of the ADXOlFormsManager component.
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 15:43:24 Top
Ralph Smith

Thanks a lot.

The command bar now shows up. I am having some trouble getting it to only show up when the correct folder is active though. I've set the folder name property, but it doesn't show up. When I remove the folder name and list all folder types as acceptible, then it shows up.

How do I change the 'message class' of a folder that I've just created?
Eg. using...

object folders = parent.GetType().InvokeMember("Folders", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.GetProperty, null, parent, new object[] { });
newFolder = folders.GetType().InvokeMember("Add", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, folders, new object[] { "MyAddinFolder", 6 });

I would like the folder to be of type 'Appointment'. Any clues?

Thanks.
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 17:49:03 Top
Ralph Smith

Moving forward...

I've managed to get around setting the message class for now.

But whenever I respond to the commandBar button click, the 'CurrentForm' property in the form manager is always null.

Any idea why that may be?
Posted 26 Aug, 2006 21:42:21 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

But whenever I respond to the commandBar button click, the 'CurrentForm' property in the form manager is always null.

Ralph,

Do you see a adxolForm when you are trying to get the CurrentForm?

If a form is hidden, the CurrentForm is null.
Posted 04 Sep, 2006 07:15:52 Top
Ralph Smith

Hello Fedor,

Yes I am seeing the ADXOlForm. In fact, I made sure that it had focus before I clicked the button. Still null.

Thanks.
Posted 07 Sep, 2006 14:07:52 Top