From Debug to Release oddities

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

From Debug to Release oddities

Mark De Lorenzo

Good morning Andrei, How ya feeling? Hope better...

I build my Office Add-In to work in Outlook, Word, Excel, etc... Upon running from VS2013 in Debug mode, it popped right into Outlook with my Add-In active. I close Outlook, VS2013 returns to ready mode. All normal so far.

I open Outlook independently, runs fine, Add-In still active. (anticipated until I run 'Build/Clean'), good so far.
I open Word, runs fine, Add-In active. (anticipated until I run 'Build/Clean'), good so far.
I open Excel, runs fine, Add-In active. (anticipated until I run 'Build/Clean'), good so far.

Now it's time to create the setup project. Switch to Release, Set All-CPU, all went great, followed the Step by Step walk through. Did a build all. No errors. Verified my Debug add-in was no longer installed in those office apps.

Run the Setup. Installed perfectly. No errors.
Opened Outlook 2013, Add-In not active. Found it in the Inactive COMs. Checked the box. All was good from then on. Even after multiple closes and opens.

1. How do I activate it upon installation?

Now, I proceeded to open Word and Excel. Neither of them had the Add-In. Not even Inactive in the Add-Ins list.

2. Why did it show up via Debug and not Release?

Please advise. (I'm almost there. Almost ready for distribution)
Posted 30 Jun, 2015 08:12:43 Top
Mark De Lorenzo

Ok.. so I got it to load automatically in Outlook. Changed the AddinModule/LoadBehavior to Connected;LoadAtStartup

And changed AddinModule/SupportedApps to Excel;Word;Outlook

How those were different between Debug and Release. Not sure.

All is good!!!!
Posted 30 Jun, 2015 10:33:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you Mark!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 01 Jul, 2015 03:25:56 Top