Win 7 installing issue

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Win 7 installing issue

Brian Nesbitt

A user is having issues installing our add-in.

The installer completes ok, their adxregistrator.log file completes with HRESULT = 0 but the add-in (PPT ribbon) never gets registered (not in File -> Options -> Add-ins list and not in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins).

The actual software gets installed properly to APPDATA. If they manually add the add-in (adxloader.dll) via File -> Options -> Add-Ins -> Manage -> Add it works fine and stays registered after re-opening Powerpoint.

Here is the top of the adxregistrator.log file, obviously no adxloader.log file is created until it is manually added.

Installation directory: C:\Windows\Installer\
Registrator version: 7.7.4087.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Process Owner: System
Command Line: "C:\Windows\Installer\MSIC621.tmp" /install="C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ProductName\Our.dll" /privileges=user /returnExitCode=false
Run 'As Administrator': Yes
Process Elevated: Yes
Integrity Level: System
UAC (User Account Control): Off

I tried going through other threads and there seems to be a conflict with Win 7, "Run 'As Administrator': Yes", UAC OFF and "/privileges=user"? The user is a local administrator on their PC.

Thanks.
Posted 30 Apr, 2015 22:32:36 Top
briannesbitt

In an attempt to replicate the issue locally, I followed the instructions on http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/10/22/getting-a-cmd-prompt-as-system-in-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008.aspx to create a CMD instance that is running at the SYSTEM level.

This sort of worked as the software looks like it is installed but no add-in is registered and no errors in the log files. Here is the top of the adxregistrator.log file... running as SYSTEM but UAC is on.

Command Line: "C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB76E.tmp" /install="C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\ProductName\Our.dll" /privileges=user /returnExitCode=false
Run 'As Administrator': Yes
Process Elevated: Yes
Integrity Level: System
UAC (User Account Control): On
Posted 03 May, 2015 22:25:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Brian,

briannesbitt writes:

According to https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/troubleshooting-tips.php#per-user-addin, this can be caused by the AlwaysInstallElevated Policy enabled on that machine. Please check https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-debugging-tips.php#AlwaysInstallElevated.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 May, 2015 04:13:06 Top
briannesbitt

For fun I just tried a simple default ADX add-in installed via WIX with AlwaysInstallElevated set to 1. It worked without any problems.

What is WIX doing to make this work that advanced installer isn't? Is the setup.exe bootstrapping the process as the current user?
Posted 04 May, 2015 15:21:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Brian,

briannesbitt writes:
with AlwaysInstallElevated set to 1

Both in HKCU and HKLM?

I don't think this relates to the installer used. What is essential is the user and permissions used to register the add-in, please check the header of adxloader.log.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 05 May, 2015 03:44:52 Top
briannesbitt

When I run the simple add-in packaged with WIX as a setup.exe side by side with the MSI file it installs ok and the adxregistrator.log file shows Process Owner: Administrator.

When I run mine packaged as an .exe it doesn't work and shows Process Owner: System.

This is with both HKLM and HKCU set to AlwaysInstallElevated = 1.
Posted 05 May, 2015 09:12:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Brian,

Are you able to set 'impersonate="yes"' for the add-in custom actions in your installer? In WiX, it is done via the CustomAction element in the product.wxs file.
Posted 05 May, 2015 10:47:29 Top
briannesbitt

Yes. There are execution options with custom actions "Run under the LocalSystem account with full privileges (no impersonation)". Advanced installer recommends to enable this option, which I think would be equivalent to impersonate="no"".
Posted 05 May, 2015 10:57:50 Top
briannesbitt

With AlwaysInstallElevated = 1...

When I un-check the "Run under the LocalSystem account with full privileges (no impersonation)" option which would be equivalent to impersonate="yes" I get Process Owner: Administrator in the registrator.log and everything works.

When I check the "Run under the LocalSystem account with full privileges (no impersonation)" option (as per Advanced installer instructions) which would be equivalent to impersonate="no" I get Process Owner: System in the registrator.log and the add-in doesn't get registered.

We don't need admin privileges to install so it sounds like impersonate="yes" or un-checked "Run under the LocalSystem account with full privileges (no impersonation)" is the correct setting for us?
Posted 05 May, 2015 11:21:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Brian,

Can I close this topic? It looks closely related to https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=13135.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 May, 2015 07:07:45 Top