Com loading error with simple Outlook addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Com loading error with simple Outlook addin

Ralph Smith

Hello,

I have been wrestling this for days now, and so I would really appreciate any help.

(i) I have been able to compile and use the HelloWorld demo project that came with 2.7 with VS.NET 2005 and Outlook 2003. But when I change the names of the files to that of my project I get a COM loading error. This is even after I delete all the generated binaries.

(ii) So I took a different approach. I used the wizard to generate a new project that uses the new Loader instead of a shim. The project builds fine, but again my plugin does not load.

I can produce the code if needed. But I need help figuring this one out.

Thanks
Posted 05 Aug, 2006 13:34:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ralph.

Did you register the add-in via the 'Register ADX Project' option of the project context menu? Do you see the add-in in the 'COM Add-ins' dialog in Outlook?
Posted 05 Aug, 2006 17:32:14 Top
Ralph Smith

Hello Sergey,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes to both. I registered and unregistered several times whilst testing. The addin shows up in the 'Com Add-ins' dialog as well. Usually it is either unselected or when I select it it displays the 'Error while loading COM...' message.
Posted 05 Aug, 2006 18:26:43 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Hi

Have you applied MS Patch "vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe" VS2005 Addins not working.

Matt
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 07:04:47 Top
Ralph Smith

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes I have.

Is there anything else I can do?

Best regards
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 10:30:11 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Have you tried uninstalling all add-ins, creating a new one using the wizard based on the loader, not changing any names just adding a explorer bar with a button, building and installing that to see if it works.

Matt
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 11:30:19 Top
Ralph Smith

Hello Matt,

I just did. Still doesn't work. I used the wizard to develop a simple project using shim with no modifications. I registered and tryied to run this project. I got the COM loading error.

Now no addins are working on my computer. Not even the Hello world. Double-checked the .NET fix you recommended. It's in there.
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 12:22:22 Top
Ralph Smith

I think I've found at least part of the problem.

We'd love insight from anyone who can provide some, since we are still wrestling with this.

Part of the issue is that the setup project's build was failing for the shim projects. And it seems that the .NET fix has to be installed using that setup file, even if we had downloaded and installed the fix from MSDN.

When we used the loader, and ran the setup file to install ( not just register ), the generated project worked. As far as we have tested anyway.

Again, if anyone can explain a little of what is going on here, we would appreciate it greatly.
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 14:52:32 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Hi

Glad you seem to be making progress, I assume you have admin privileges to you machine ? I have had IT guys messing with my setup over the last 6 months and have had similar experiencing here is what I have found.

Was Visual Studio 2005 installed as you the current user or another user ?
Was any beta of any version of VS installed at any time ?
Has you machine been put on a different NT domain recently ?
Has you NT account bee renamed recently ?

I have had all the above changes and they have caused me no end of trouble. They are not ADX's fault just windows etc, you probably have not had any of the above done to your machine.

Did you just copy of the new files in the vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe fix as this would not work you do have to run the setup.exe to register the components.

Have you done the following:

Office also might hard-disable your COM Addin. You can check this using Help->About->Disabled Items dialog or just delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\xxxx\Resiliency registry key. where XXX is Outlook, Excel etc

Ensure you have non disabled etc.

One other thing I believe you must ensure that the vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe update is deployed with the project. I personally use VS2003 so may be wrong about this but I believe:

After you install this update, whenever you create a shared add-in project in Visual Studio 2005, you must include the Shared Add-in Support Update for the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002) option among the prerequisites in the solution Setup project. To do this, follow these steps: 1. In Solution Explorer, right-click the solution Setup project, and then click Properties.
2. Click Prerequisites.
3. Click to select the Shared Add-in Support Update for the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002) check box.
Note You must enable this prerequisite separately for both Debug and Release builds.

just my brain dump.

Matt

Matt
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 16:39:07 Top
Ralph Smith

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am checking them out right now.

I ran vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe on my development machine. I did check the prerequisites page, and it was already in there.

I was under the impression that vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe updated the central .NET 2.0 libraries. But it seems to only affect the DLLs during installation. So I have beening running 'Setup.exe' after *every* build of my addin. Not something that's pratical in the long run :)

So, still looking for a way around that...
Posted 07 Aug, 2006 16:57:18 Top