What is the meaning of the different types in "version_info.xml" ?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

What is the meaning of the different types in "version_info.xml" ?

mscheuner

For my Outlook plugin, I'm now beginning to test installation and auto-updating. It works - sometimes.

What I don't know and haven't found any documentation on is the contents of the "version_info.xml" file and what those entries mean.

For instance, I have these two entries in my "version_info.xml":

<version name="0.4.7" installationUrl="http://ourserver.nowhow.ch/myplugin/Install/" productCode="(some guid)" updateType="webPage">
	<files msi="myplugin.Setup" customActionAssembly="" customActionClass="">
		<file>myplugin.Setup.msi</file>
	</files>
	<preferences>
		<showInstallUI>true</showInstallUI>
		<showUninstallUI>false</showUninstallUI>
		<webPage>http://ourserver.nowhow.ch/myplugin/install/1033/0.4.7/myplugin.Installer.exe</webPage>
		<showDownloaderWindow>true</showDownloaderWindow>
		<showRunningApplicationsWarning>true</showRunningApplicationsWarning>
	</preferences>
</version>
<version name="0.4.9" installationUrl="http://ourserver.nowhow.ch/myplugin/Install/" productCode="(some other guid)" updateType="directLink">
	<files msi="myplugin.Setup" customActionAssembly="" customActionClass="">
		<file>myplugin.Setup.msi</file>
	</files>
	<preferences>
		<showInstallUI>true</showInstallUI>
		<showUninstallUI>false</showUninstallUI>
		<webPage></webPage>
		<showDownloaderWindow>true</showDownloaderWindow>
		<showRunningApplicationsWarning>true</showRunningApplicationsWarning>
	</preferences>
</version>

Why is one set to be "updateType=webpage", while the newer version uses "updateType=directLink" ? What do these settins mean, how do they affect my plugin's ability to auto-update itself?
Posted 30 Sep, 2014 04:20:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Marc,

These option reflect the settings you chose in the ClickTwice dialogs. Naturally, using these options influence the way you update your add-in. Still, they don't prevent your add-in from being auto updated.

updateType="webPage" means you've specified a string in the text box "CheckForUpdates will return the string you enter here". updateType="directLink" means ClickTwice will download the downloader. The last option is updateType="bootstrapper" meaning that setup.exe will be downloaded.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Sep, 2014 04:49:05 Top
mscheuner

OK, yes, I had played around with that settings.

I'm still not quite clear on what the *difference* between those two is..... if I specify the whole URL (and the "updateType" becomes "webPage"), then the file specified in that URL is downloaded and executed directly (vs. downloading the downloader which then downloads the MSI and executes it) ?
Posted 30 Sep, 2014 05:33:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Marc,

If you specify a string in that text box (= the update type is "webPage"), you are responsible for processing that string when CheckForUpdates returns it. Say, you can specify a URL, .exe, downloader, whatever. The other update types are processed by ClickTwice itself.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Sep, 2014 05:46:12 Top