Install Fails on end user machines

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Install Fails on end user machines
i've found something interesting that may help explain a few questions 
Matt Driver

Matt

Hi All

I have see various posts about users having trouble with their add-in installing and not appearing on end users machines but the add-in works perfectly on their development machine, well after a lot of digging I have discovered this:

My Dev machine has two registry keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration.AddinModule\......keys and settings......

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1\.....keys and settings.....

So I conclude that on my dev machine that the adx addin has installed to HKCU whilst the out of the box VBA addin for outlook has installed itself to HKLM. This config works fine remember.

The adx project should have the properties:
Register for all users = False
Load Behavour = Connected;Load at startup
Host Application = configured correctly for the framework version
Supported Apps = configured correctly for the apps the addin works with
Custom App install properties are correct.

Also you should check their are not disabled add-ins in Outlook > About...

My project has all of these and has been work fine for 2 years but I come across some machines that when the installation completes the add-in does not appear and also their is not registry setting above for the addin in either HKCU or HCKU.

So I have just investigated the registry on the machine where the add-in does not appear and found this:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1\.....keys and settings.....

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\

NOTE: Their is no addin subfolder for the HKCU registry path. So I conclude ADX is installing to HCKU (not sure how/why and what setting forces this Sergey can comment perhaps!) but the path for the addin to be inserted into the registy does not exist !!!

So it appears that Office can be installed differently, the odd this is we install >150 machines with the same office script a full install and some are different.

So I then exported the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration.AddinModule\......keys and settings......

on my dev machine to a .reg file and imported into the end users machine and restarted outlook (I did not re-install addin) the add-in appeared fine.

Sergey any ideas what is going on ?

Matt
Posted 21 Jul, 2006 10:28:52 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Matt.

Do you use the AddinExpress.Install.dll assembly in the custom actions of the setup project?
Do you choose the 'Everyone' option in the installer dialog during the installation?
Posted 21 Jul, 2006 22:18:59 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Hi

I do not use the AddinExpress.Install.dll in the custom actions. This is a projec that was created a long time ago without a shim. Probably created middle of 2005. I have obviously built it with latest build more recently though. I onyl have the AddinExpress.MSO.dll in my custom actions.

I choose Current user in the installer dialog during install.

Matt
Posted 25 Jul, 2006 09:13:35 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Matt.

Could you please use the AddinExpress.Install.dll in the custom actions?
The fact is that we stopped supporting the installation code placed into the AddinExpress.MSO.dll assembly long time.
Moreover, the new ADX version will not implement the Installer class anymore.
Posted 25 Jul, 2006 10:21:25 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Do I simply delete all custom actions in old project and copy them from a newly generated project and then rebuild.

Matt
Posted 26 Jul, 2006 05:20:01 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Just come to do it and my new project c# with shim has custom action of:

/Shim="[TARGETDIR]/POMIShim.dll" / GAC="MSO"

but my project is an old vb.met .net 1.1 without shim so what do I put in the custom actions for this project ?

Thanks

Matt
Posted 26 Jul, 2006 05:29:32 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

I have added:

/Addin="[TARGETDIR]\Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration.dll" where Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration us the project name is this correct ?

Does it matter the project has spaces in its name.

Matt
Posted 26 Jul, 2006 05:33:17 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Matt,

Try the following:
/Addin=\"[TARGETDIR]\\Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration.dll\"

Posted 26 Jul, 2006 05:51:51 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Hi

I have updated it as above but I now get:

Exception occured while initializing the installation

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or Assembly name i2 or one of its dependencies was not found.

Matt :!:
Posted 26 Jul, 2006 10:47:43 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

I created a new project without shim on vb.net 1.1 and it added custom actions like:

/Addin="[TARGETDIR]\Pivotal Outlook Mail Integration.dll"

it now installs but not toolbar or registry entry for the addin for HKLM or HKCU

Matt
Posted 26 Jul, 2006 10:59:17 Top