Add a new ribbon group to a system-defined ribbon

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add a new ribbon group to a system-defined ribbon
Outlook - adding a new ribbon group to "TabCalendar" 
mscheuner

I'm trying to add my own custom ribbon group to a system-defined ribbon - the "TabCalendar" ribbon.

So I created a COM Add-in, and in the designer, I added an "adxRibbonTab" and it contains an "adxRibbonGroup".

But what properties do I need to set to make this work?

On the "adxRibbonTab1"
- what do I need to choose for "Ribbons" ? Just "OutlookExplorer" ? Or "OutlookAppointment" ? Or something else?
- what should I choose for "Shared" (true/false) and "Visible" (true/false)?
- do I need to set the "IdMso" property to "TabCalendar" (or something else)

On the contained "adxRibbonGroup" - what do I need to set? I tried:

- IdMso = "TabCalendar"
- InsertAfterIdMso = "GroupCalendarNew"

I see *nothing* in Outlook 2010 now :-(

When I set the Ribbon Tab to a separate value of my own, and to "Visible = True", I see the new ribbon tab - and my ribbon group and its button on it. But I don't want to **add** a new ribbon tab - I want to integrate into an existing one.

How do I do that?
Posted 05 Aug, 2014 02:42:42 Top
mscheuner

I wasn't able to find anything on how to achieve this in any of the documentation, how-to videos, or the forum. Can you elaborate how this can be done?

Thanks!
Marc
Posted 05 Aug, 2014 04:02:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Marc,

Below is a citation from section Referring to built-in Office ribbon controls, see http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-ribbon-components.php:

Add-in Express Ribbon components provide the IdMso property; if you leave it empty the component will create a custom Ribbon control. To refer to a built-in Ribbon control, you set the IdMso property of the component to the ID of the built-in Ribbon control. For instance, you can add a custom Ribbon group to a built-in tab. To do this, you add a Ribbon tab component onto the add-in module and set its IdMso to the ID of the required built-in Ribbon tab. Then you add your custom group to the tab and populate it with controls. Note that the Ribbon does not allow adding a custom control to a built-in Ribbon group.

That is, you set IdMso="TabCalendar" on the ADXRibbonTab component. Then you add a ribbon group to the tab and set its properties such as Caption, Visible, etc. Finally, you populate it with controls.

The Shared property is described in section Sharing Ribbon controls across multiple add-ins on the same page.

Setting IdMso="TabCalendar" on the Ribbon group component doesn't make sense; the IdMso property of a tab can only refer to a tab, the same applies to a group.

mscheuner writes:
- what do I need to choose for "Ribbons" ?

Since the tab is shown in the Explorer window, you need to specify Ribbons=OutlookExplorer.

mscheuner writes:
I see *nothing* in Outlook 2010 now :-(

Please select the check box described in section Get Informed about Errors in Ribbon markup, see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Does the above help?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Aug, 2014 04:25:26 Top
mscheuner

Andrei Smolin writes:
Does the above help?

Yes, thanks - helps a lot, now my ribbon group shows up on the intended ribbon! OK - off to write some actual functionality :-)

Thanks!
Marc
Posted 05 Aug, 2014 04:40:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Aug, 2014 05:23:59 Top