Wishlist: Problem with TabVisible property on RibbonTab

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Wishlist: Problem with TabVisible property on RibbonTab

Stan S

Problem: I frequently inject RibbonGroups into existing (main) tabs. Sometimes under extreme scenarios the main tab disappears from user interface.

I think the cause is that with current model of ADX customization, when I place a group on tab, visibility of the tab is controlled by getVisible property, is that right? In this case, can you add a functionality to not use that - treat tab as AlwaysVisible. So if it all breaks down, at least user does not lose standard tab if for some reason Outlook can't query ADX's getVisible function any longer.

Stan
Posted 08 Jul, 2014 11:18:26 Top
Stan S

To clarify, the behavior has been spotted with several add-ins in Outlook 2010 and recently with 2013. I think it pops up after problems with update, when component does not install properly and therefore add-in is severely broken.
Posted 08 Jul, 2014 11:20:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Stan,

We know that replacing the getVisible attribute with the visible attribute on a built-in ribbon tab helps to solve the issue, see the code sample handling this at http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=12137. Still, we don't think this is a correct approach. We need to remember that the Ribbon schema allows changing the visibility of a tab.

There should exist some other way; we haven't find it yet because the issue isn't reproducible on our machines. Is it reproducible on your side?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Jul, 2014 05:18:18 Top
Stan S

It was reproducible on several occasions, and I think every time that was when I compiled setup incorrectly and it would not replace one of DLLs in multi-dll add-in. If you are interested in screensharing, I can try to 'freeze' the situation next time I see that. Reproducing it on purpose is possible, just will take a considerable time.
Posted 09 Jul, 2014 11:52:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Stan,

Stan S writes:
when I compiled setup incorrectly and it would not replace one of DLLs in multi-dll add-in.

This is my understanding that the add-in will not start loading in this scenario. Therefore, your add-in will be unable to modify the Ribbon. I wonder if I understand you correctly.

Also, what is the state of the "Show add-in user interface errors" flag on that machine? Please find this flag in File | Options | Advanced | Developers.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Jul, 2014 08:31:55 Top
Stan S

Hi Andrei,
"Show add-in user interface errors" is enabled on the machine where I saw this last time; no errors were shown however.
The add-in was definitely loaded when I saw that problem. It was reproducible with end users, too: if they disable problematic addin, everything's good.
I will keep an eye on this situation and try to collect additional information if it reappears. In my experience, I strongly associate it with a specific add-in where the logic was separated to different DLL and that DLL failed to update. Perhaps Outlook's callbacks via IDispatch failed, whereas originally DLL would load correctly?
Posted 10 Jul, 2014 08:59:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Stan,

Stan S writes:
Perhaps Outlook's callbacks via IDispatch failed, whereas originally DLL would load correctly?

We've thought about such a variant of course: non-returning a property value (say due to an extension) means Office will continue using the current value. Alas, we just cannot invent a schema where something in the Add-in Express code and/or the XML Add-in Express generates this problem. We tend to think the problem belongs to Office. But whatever the cause, we will need to prove it. Currently, we cannot do this.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jul, 2014 07:58:41 Top