Add in Deployment Options

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add in Deployment Options
Options for installing office add ins on user desktops 
tony bonn

If I understand the developer's guide correctly, in order to install the add ins in a user's office products (in this case office 2007), I need to create a setup project.

so if I click the setup project wizard, I have 2 choices if I am using vs2013: installshield full version or WiX. Is that correct?

There are no other methods for installing the com add-in?

thanks.
Posted 04 Jun, 2014 17:58:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tony,

There's one more option. You can install Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects Preview, see http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9abe329c-9bba-44a1-be59-0fbf6151054d. This adds the standard setup project template to you visual Studio. Note however that an installer created using this tool will fail on Windows XP, see the FAQ link on that page.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Jun, 2014 06:34:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sorry, the Q AND A link, not FAQ.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 05 Jun, 2014 06:34:41 Top
tony bonn

I am about to order the wix designer, but need to make sure that I have identified everything I need.

I have created an office add-in with add-in express (the latest version as of 3 weeks ago). I now need an installation routine so that desktop users can install the add-in. my understanding is that the designer for wix tool set will allow me to create an installation routine which users can click and will install the add-in. the target is office 2007 (word, excel, powerpoint).

I am developing with vs 2013 professional. so in addition to vs, I need the wix toolset from codeplex.

does that cover it? is this a recommended approach? do you recommend one option over the other? I don't want to use the Microsoft option since it is still in beta and who knows when they will take it away again.
Posted 09 Jun, 2014 09:21:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Tony,

I understand you concern.

You need to start with letting Add-in Express generate a WiX setup project for your add-in. Then you determine if you need to modify the project. If the answer is positive, you have two ways: 1) you can use WiX manuals where the XML file WiX creates is explained in all details, or 2) you can use WiX designer - the UI alternative to the XML markup. I explained somewhere that WiX Designer is about creating "simple" projects quickly. Although the definition of "simple" varies, I believe add-in installers mostly fall into this category - in my opinion they are simple.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or need more information.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Jun, 2014 10:28:10 Top