Web Install Without IE?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Web Install Without IE?

Justin Moran

Is it possible to install from the web without internet explorer popping up with the file location and all of the download warnings? I'm looking to install from a website but looking for the install to run quiet in the background.
Posted 29 Apr, 2014 19:35:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Justin,

I believe the add-in must NOT be installed silently. I see the user installing the add-in as the person who initiates the process; obviously the user expects to be informed about e.g. whether the installation completes. Also, the add-in may require prerequisites and a prerequisite's installer can be really chatty. So, generally, there's a number of reasons why you cannot install the add-in silently.

On the contrary, updating the add-in can be done silently: prerequisites are already installed, the license is accepted, etc.

After you install the add-in, you have these update options:

1. Use ADXAddinModule.CheckForMsiUpdates - this uses the default web browser and you'll get the popups etc.
2. Use ADXAddinModule.LaunchMsiUpdates - this doesn't use the default web browser but this means you'll need to have two update locations: for those who install the add-in (for the first time) and for those who update the ass-in. This is all you can do using ClickTwice. Not really convenient.
3. A custom solution. E.g. a windows service (for a per-machine add-in) or .EXE that updates the add-in in the way you need.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Apr, 2014 06:41:33 Top