Add-in Express for Office and .NET - can I use regions from "ADX Region for Outlook and VSTO"?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express for Office and .NET - can I use regions from "ADX Region for Outlook and VSTO"?

Chris McA

Hi,

I'm a bit unclear about what kind of overlap there is between the following two products;

"Add-in Express for Office and .NET" and "Regions for Outlook and VSTO".

If I purchase the main product, ADX for Office and .NET - am I still able to add the new item of type "ADX Region for Outlook and VSTO" to my projects? I'm just a bit unclear about whether the regions offered in the second product are only for VSTO add-ins, or if they be used in add-ins which are registered and loaded through the ADX Loader mechanism.

Thanks for your time,
Chris
Posted 06 Feb, 2014 10:56:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

The products contain the same functionality - "Add-in Express Regions". Additionally, "Regions for Outlook and VSTO" includes a small part adapting this functionality for use in a VSTO-based Outlook add-in project. "Add-in Express for Office and .NET" includes a lot of other components that target to creating COM add-ins without VSTO; the components allows dealing with Ribbons, events, etc. Using "Regions for Outlook and VSTO" and "Add-in Express for Office and .NET" simultaneously is not possible; they work in different project types.

Chris McA writes:
If I purchase the main product, ADX for Office and .NET - am I still able to add the new item of type "ADX Region for Outlook and VSTO" to my projects?

You will be able to use "Add-in Express Regions" in your project.

Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 00:17:51 Top
Chris McA

Thanks Andrei - that clears things up.

The reason I'm looking into the difference between the two is because of Outlook 2013 and my add-in being disabled during a "cold start" of the CLR.

My understanding is that using the ADX Loader boot-strapper (only available in ADX for Office and .NET - is that correct?) will give me a way to load my add-in without suffering from the slow load time of the CLR.

I have tried various optimisations on my VSTO add-in, like using an MSI to install it to Program Files and overriding the ribbon reflection - and it does seem to load quite quickly (500ms on cold, 100ms on warm)- but I'm worried that on my users' machines, it will tip over the 1000ms mark and get disabled.

I haven't quite made the decision over whether to abandon VSTO yet. I need to do some profiling of the two approaches to see if it's worth losing some of VSTO's benefits to counter the chance of OL2013 disabling the add-in.
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 03:37:22 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Chris McA writes:
My understanding is that using the ADX Loader boot-strapper (only available in ADX for Office and .NET - is that correct?)

Correct.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or need more information.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 04:33:48 Top
Chris McA

Great, thanks Andrei.

One last question then.. what would your general guidance be on performance of add-in start times for OL2013? Would it be to avoid using VSTO? It seems strange to me that MS would leave things in this state... with their "easy" route to creating Outlook add-ins being so vulnerable to being disabled.
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 04:48:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Chris,

For a non-VSTO add-in this would be to avoid using events that Outlook monitors. For a VSTO add-in, I'm not sure if there's a 100% solution. I have an impression that a VSTO add-in can be disabled if it is the first add-in to be loaded and the CLR initializes slowly for some reason.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 05:35:58 Top
Chris McA

Thanks Andrei - perhaps I'll take a look at using ADX Loader then.

Cheers,
Chris
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 07:33:17 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 Feb, 2014 08:25:03 Top