a wierd case of incompatibility with adxOlFormsManager: can you implement a 'late load' functionality?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

a wierd case of incompatibility with adxOlFormsManager: can you implement a 'late load' functionality?

Stan S

Our end users who are in China have reported that Outlook will crash if they install ADX.NET-driven plugin on a machine where a specific Chinese dictionary is installed. The dictionary can be downloaded from here (use Download page, Desktop edition)
http://cidian.youdao.com/?keyfrom=dict.entry

This software installs some system-wide hook, not an Outlook module. When a user focuses over Outlook button it would pop up a form with Chinese translation. With ADX add-in in question installed, it would crash Outlook at that moment.

They report that not every computer is affected, but when I downloaded and installed the software, I ran outlook and it immediately crashed. I used Windows 7 x64, Outlook 2010 32bit. Usually Outlook would crash in a few seconds after launching. Sometimes it reports problem with IntResource.dll, but if I disable custom regions it would crash anyway.

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.7109.5000, time stamp: 0x522a3402
Faulting module name: IntResource.dll, version: 1.0.3.146, time stamp: 0x50b5e726
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003acb9
Faulting process id: 0x2d3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0e827896f601
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: d:\temp\IntResource.dll
---
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.7109.5000, time stamp: 0x522a3402
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.0.30319.18052, time stamp: 0x5173c26b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00372b52
Faulting process id: 0x49d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0e839dc77062
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

If I create an empty plugin, create adxOlFormsManager in it, add an item, and implement the following code

private void AddinModule_AddinInitialize(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
this.adxOlFormsManager1.Items.Clear();
}
it will crash nevertheless.

Now, if I remove adxOlFormsManager1 , everything's fine. So it looks like the adxOlFormsManager1 emits assembly when it's created, and then the harm is done already.

Can you implement an "Enabled" property on adxOlFormsManager? It would benefit me a lot: I would have it disabled by default and enable on AddinModule_AddinInitialize when required. In a few add-ins, I have both FormManager and TaskPane, to support some specific scenarios; it works better for me if I don't split the codebase.

Thank you for consideration,

Stan
Posted 10 Jan, 2014 23:03:07 Top
Stan S

Forgot to mention. If I create an add-in from scratch and just use the adxOlFormManager there to create a region in mail's Inspector, the problem is perfectly reproducible, and I don't even have to open an Inspector. Outlook crashes as soon as I hover mouse over "new email" button to invoke translation dialog.

The add-in in question has routine to disable adxOlFormManager on the AddinModule_AddinInitialize, and all i need is to be able to disable functionality reliably. Maintaining two copies of source code, one with adxOlFormManager and another without, is a little bit problematic. I would appreciate if you make adxOlFormManager compatible, too, but if you can't because you want to retire the component, I can live with that :)

Stan
Posted 10 Jan, 2014 23:06:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Stan,

We will look into fixing this and let you know about the results.

Stan S writes:
If I create an empty plugin, create adxOlFormsManager in it, add an item, and implement the following code

You also need to delete adxOlFormsManager1 from the module.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jan, 2014 04:34:30 Top
Stan S

>>You also need to delete adxOlFormsManager1 from the module.
Yes, that's why I can't do that at runtime and would appreciate your help...

Thank you, and hoping to hear from you soon,
Stan
Posted 13 Jan, 2014 23:11:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sorry, I should have said "You also need to delete adxOlFormsManager1 from the module programmatically".

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jan, 2014 03:17:28 Top
Giles Robertson

Hi,

We are also experiencing the same problem of Outlook crashing when using Add-in Express with the Youdao translation software installed.

I have created a dummy addin using ADX, which just displays a panel within the Outlook UI and uses localised resources. With Youdao installed, Outlook crashes within the intresource.dll component as a result of a stack overflow.

This issue is seriously affecting a number of our Chinese customer installs. Do you have any update on the issue, ability to replicate the problem and ETA?

Many thanks,

Giles.
Posted 15 Jan, 2014 11:33:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Giles,

In a couple of minutes I'll send you a download link for am AddinExpress.OL.2005.dll assembly which fixes the issue for us.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 Jan, 2014 05:22:51 Top