Open Inspector remains after quiting Outlook

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Open Inspector remains after quiting Outlook
Please help! 
Michael Swanson

I have an addin that will reply to certain mails that contain certain named properties. I can add named properties without any problems.

The code coes something like this:

OnNewInspector()
{
 if named property exists 
 {
   then create new mail
   set named properties
   // commented out mailItem.Save()
   send
   closeInspector = 2;
 }
}

At this point, I would like to close the Current Inspector that the user opened after double-clicking on the mail, and then delete the mail. Through trial and error, I found that I needed to close the inspector TWICE and delete the mail. I seemed to have no choice but to put this in the OnInspectorActivate()

So, the hack that followes:

OnInspectorActivate
{
 while (closeInspector > 0)
   close inspector
   if (closeInspector == 1)
      mail.delete()
   closeInspector--;
}

Everything works good at this point.

The problem is when I close Outlook, a Word window with no message is displayed and it prompts me to save the contents (there is no contents). I found through more trial and error that I needed to save the mailItem after setting named properties. So I commented out the Save() line in OnNewInspector().

Now the problem is that a zombie mailItem with no Receiptant is saved in the Outbox. The real mailItem is sent fine.

So, is there a special order in which an Inspector should be closed in regards to deleting a mailItem?

Thank you for any help. I've been spending many hours trying to fix this.
Posted 06 Jul, 2006 16:39:37 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Michael.

I think you shouldn't delete a mail item in the InspectorActivate event. Try to use the OnSendMessage event of the AddinModule class to delete it. You will have to send a message using the SendMessage method of the AddinModule class so that the OnSendMessage event will fire.
e.g
OnInspectorActivate
{
this.SendMessage(MYMESSAGE, IntPtr.Zero, IntPtr.Zero);
}

Posted 07 Jul, 2006 17:06:51 Top