Add a form directly over the reading pane

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add a form directly over the reading pane
Add a form directly over the reading pane if another form is in the TopReadingPane 
Ren? Espenhahn

Hello,

I have a form which is located in the ADXOlExplorerLayout.TopReadingPane and is displayed above the mail content form of outlook. Now I want to add another form which should be located directly over the mail content form of outlook. Therefore I want to add it to ADXOlExplorerLayout.ReadingPane.

The result is now, that I can switch between my old form plus the mail content under it AND the whole new form.
But I only want to switch the email-content-form to my new form.
Here are some images to illustrate:

Image 1:
User added an image

Image 2:
User added an image
It covers both. My older form and the e-mail content.

Image 3:
Now I Drag&Drop the new form from image 2 to another location in outlook.
Then I can Drag&Drop it again directly over the e-mail content.
User added an image

Image 4:
This is the state how I would have it.
User added an image

If I now look what ADXOlExplorerLayout my new form has, than I get ADXOlExplorerLayout.ReadingPane.
If I add it again after an outlook restart then I have the state of my first image.

Question:
How can I place my form directly over the e-mail content form of outlook?
Posted 05 Jul, 2013 06:30:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ren?,

There's a protocol that the Social Connector add-in provides so that other add-ins sharing the Reading Pane window may work together with the Social Connector add-in. Supporting this protocol is a must; otherwise your add-in will draw its panes incorrectly. What you see is a result of supporting this protocol. If you turn Social Connector off and restart Outlook, you will not see the effect above. With Social connector turned off, what you see depends on the order in which ADXOlFormsCollectionItems are added to the ADXOlFromsManager.Items collection. That is, I suggest that you modify this order and you will get the required effect in most cases. Most, not all. This is because it is not possible to guarantee that the forms will ALWAYS be created in the same order.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Jul, 2013 09:49:19 Top
Ren? Espenhahn

Hello Andrei,

thank you for the Hint. If I turned this Add-in off, my new Form is correctly added behind the reading pane and I can activate it to show it instead of the reading pane. My other form above the reading pane isn't influcened like it should be.

But disabling the Outlook Social Connector is no real solution. If a customer use it, it can't be disabled. Therefore I need a solution with active Outlook Social Connector. I have read a bit over this Outlook Social Connector but there is nothing mentioned with the reading pane. It seems to me, that this is only a protocol to connect to a network and send/receive data. I have no interface found (which I can implement) to get my form with active Outlook Social Connector behind/over the reading pane without complete hiding my other form above the reading pane. The onliest interfaces I found were:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff759424%28v=office.14%29.aspx

Can you give me more information how Add-in express can help me here or Outlook it self?

Thanks
Ren?
Posted 08 Jul, 2013 04:42:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Ren? Espenhahn writes:
But disabling the Outlook Social Connector is no real solution.

I didn't suggest turning off Social Connector as a solution; it was meant to show you the root cause.

Ren? Espenhahn writes:
I have read a bit over this Outlook Social Connector but there is nothing mentioned with the reading pane.

Here's the protocol which Social Connector provides and forces us to use it:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/OlAdjacentWindows/

Ren? Espenhahn writes:
Can you give me more information how Add-in express can help me here or Outlook it self?

You CANNOT find a solution if Social Connector is turned on.

I would suggest that you consider changing the design of your add-in. For instance, you can achive the required behavior by imitating the TopReadingPane right on the form shown in ADXOlExplorerLayout.ReadingPane.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Jul, 2013 09:18:20 Top