Add-In Toolbar not being added to Outlook 2003 on new dev machine (works on old one)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In Toolbar not being added to Outlook 2003 on new dev machine (works on old one)

Mark Daly

I am building a new development machine and have encountered a problem with an existing application.

The problem, and how it can be reproduced.

The existing application adds a toolbar or ribbon to either Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. It has been deployed successfully on machines running XP and also the 32 bit version of Win 7.

The old development machine is XP with Office 2003. The new development machine is 64 bit Win 7 with Office 2003.

On the new development machine, when the application launches Outlook is started but the toolbar is not added. Running the applications installer and starting Outlook independently from Visual Studio also does not work.

There is no error in either case. Using Visual Studio the application builds without error and stops execution when the instance of Outlook that it launched closes.

The edition and the version of our product that you use.

Old development machine: 5.0.2021.2005

New development machine: 7.2.4055.2005 (Upgrade purchased September 2012)

Your operating system (2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 or 2008) and localization

Old development machine: XP SP 3 Australia
New development machine: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit Sp 1 Build 7601

Host application version, localization, and service packs that you have installed

Outlook 2003 11.5608.5606

Your development tool, its version and build number

VS 2008 V 9.0.30729.1 SP 1 (Using Visual Basic)
The application was originally built using VS 2005 and so it continues to use .Net 2.0.50727

Any other information you think may be helpful

Note that the registry shows that I am using ADXLoader.Dll. I have also tried specifying ADXLoader64.Dll but that made no difference. I have screen shots of the Application references and also the InProcServer 32 Settings. How do I attach them - the IMG dialog is asking for a URL...?
Posted 30 May, 2013 21:20:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mark,

Please start with modifying your add-in project as follows:

- Replace Loader\adxloader.dll in your add-in project with {Add-in Express}\Redistributables\adxloader.dll and re-register your project. Assuming that you have a 32-bit Office version installed on your PC, this will allow you to start debugging your project immediately. Note that for XLL UDF projects, the loader file name is constructed as follows: adxloader.{project output name}.dll.

- Copy {Add-in Express}\Redistributables\adxloader64.dll to the Loader folder of the add-in project. If your add-in project contains an XLL module, you have to rename the loader with adxloader64.{project output name}.dll.

Then you need to modify your setup project.

In the manual, in the section Deployment step-by-steps, please find the section corresponding to your add-in's type and the way you deploy it. Follow the steps to create a new setup project or to modify the existing one.

Assuming that you deploy your add-in using a .MSI installer, please check if there are errors or any other problems mentioned in these files after you run the installer and open the host application:

-{My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
-{My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts the host application

Please post adxloader.dll.manifest here (all sensitive info can be deleted). Or, you can send it (and any related info) to the support email address; please find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 May, 2013 01:49:53 Top
Mark Daly

Hello

Today I replaced the ADXLoader and ADXLoader64 DLL files as requested. There are no XLL modules.

After I reregister the addinmodule.vb class now fires and the ad in toolbar is visible

The manifest file has only the most basic information:

<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="Outlook Tracer, PublicKeyToken=bc9467a803fffe82" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="true" privileges="administrator" configFileName="App.config" />
</configuration>

I shall try and regenerate the setup file next.

Thank you for your assistance so far.

Regards,

Mark
Posted 03 Jun, 2013 01:08:59 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mark,

Thank you for letting me know.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Jun, 2013 02:25:38 Top