Add-In Issues when changing platforms

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In Issues when changing platforms

Bob Kardell

I finished building my Excel COM Add-in on a computer (desktop) running Win XP and Excel 2007. The add-in works as expected. I have now tried to run the add-in on Vista / 2007, Win7 (64) / 2007, and Win7 / 2010 and each time the add-in does not appear. I have copied all of the associated .dll files. When I try to add it through the add-in feature in Excel I click on adxloader.dll and no error is received, but the add-in does not appear.

I wanted to try to build the project on another computer and thus downloaded VB Express 2010 and tried to install my copy of Add-In Express on that computer (a laptop), but I have recieved an error that there is an issue with the installer and the installation cannot continue. I have tried to re-download, re-unzip, and re-run with no luck. Without installing project files on the other computer, I am not sure how to find errors.

I was finally able to get the VS 2010 and Add-In Express installed, and when I register the project, it works perfectly. Somehow the registration process of the install program is not registering the COM add-in correctly. Are there any differences with installing a COM add-in on a different platform? Does the RegisterForAllUsers need to be set to True?

I was finally able to resolve the issues on Win7, but with Vista I still cannot see the add-in. I have the RegisteredForAllUsers to True and UAC turned on, but it still does not seem to register the add-in. When I right-click in VB express and register my add-in using Add-In Express, does that do anything more than register the add-in as regsrv32.exe would?

Thank you,

Bob
Posted 26 Oct, 2012 19:11:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bob,

In the manual, we describe how to deploy every type of Office extensions, please see the section Getting Started. As to RegisterForAllUsers, here's a citation from the manual:

Per-user and per-machine COM add-ins
A COM add-in can be registered either for the current user (the user running the installer) or for all users on the machine. Add-in Express generates a per-user add-in project; your add-in is per-machine if the add-in module has ADXAddinModule.RegisterForAllUsers = True. Registering for all users means creating registry entries in HKLM and that means the user registering a per-machine add-in must have administrative permissions. Accordingly, RegisterForAllUsers = Flase means writing to HKCU (=for the current user).

To find out why your add-in doesn't work, start with the section The Add-in does not Work in the manual. If your add-in is registered, then it should create a log file as described in the section Loader's Log. If the problem occurs while registering the add-in, check another log file mentioned in Documenting the Process.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 29 Oct, 2012 03:35:34 Top
Bob Kardell

Thank you! The log file showed me that my add-in was trying to load AddinExpress.XL.2005.dll which I had not included in the setup file. When do I need AddinExpress.MSO.2005?
Posted 30 Oct, 2012 22:10:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Bob,

If you develop a COM add-in, XLL add-in or Automation add-in then you use what AddinExpress.MSO.2005 provides. You don't need it, if you develop an RTD server or smart.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Oct, 2012 02:18:18 Top