Toolbar positioning in office addin continued

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Toolbar positioning in office addin continued
Button disappears and reappears rapidly when typing an email 
Michael McMahon

Hi there,

I've had a few customers mention an issue that has been noticed with our office addin lately. I've seen this myself before too. Basically what happens is when editing an email in Outlook (with another word document open) every time you type, the toolbar button that is added by Add-in-express appears and disappears rapidly (i.e. on every keystroke) causing the toolbars to jump around.

The toolbar button can be moved down to sit on the same line as the email toolbar and then the issue is not so noticeable but this is not a very good solution as the toolbar doesn't remember it's position the next time you open a draft email or create a new message.

The current temporary properties of our toolbars are

Temporary = True for Outlook and
Temporary = False for Excel and Word

Word is specified as the default editor in Outlook.

Would anyone have some suggestions as to how to get around this issue?

Mike
Posted 29 May, 2006 01:33:15 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

It happens because of ADX adds controls for all documents and Word stores them in the Normal.dot template. For some reason Word refreshes all custom command bars (with another word document open) ever time you type.
We have tried to fix it but it raises another issue that doesn't allow us to implement it.
Posted 29 May, 2006 12:38:26 Top
Michael McMahon

Thanks for the reply Sergey,

I'll try to explain to our clients that the problem is with Microsoft Word!

Mike
Posted 30 May, 2006 01:16:02 Top
Michael McMahon

Something that I learned today which may benefit some users who are struggling with this issue.

In Microsoft Word if you go to Tools > Options > View (tab) and uncheck the "Windows in Taskbar" checkbox you will only see one window for MS word and won't have the problem described if you are dealing only with word documents (as opposed to email messages and word documents).

Mike
Posted 30 May, 2006 05:38:49 Top
Ole Andreas Ringdal

I have the same problem -- I've got a client whose 30-ish users (lawyers and solicitors, yikes!) experience this jumping when the toolbar is active in a Word window. Resulting in many users disabling the toolbar alltogether.

They all use Office 2003, and use Word 2003 as the email editor in Outlook 2003. I've yet to test this to confirm exactly in what cases this jumping occurs since I've been away on vacation. I've not noticed this when developing this addin, and I've developed it on three different machines (with different language versions of XP and Office), as well as also tested it on two VMware XP machines, except for in a rare case or two.

So, what's really the solution? Tell the client that Word is at fault and that there's nothing to do about it? Remove any CommandBars, buttons, and other "user-friendlies" and try to get the users to use keyboard shortcuts instead?

I've not tested using menus instead of toolbars/buttons; do you think the problem will appear here as well?

Best regards,
Ole Andreas
Posted 08 Aug, 2006 14:14:23 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ole Andreas.

Did you try a solution offered by Michael? Does it work for you?
Posted 09 Aug, 2006 07:45:49 Top
Ole Andreas Ringdal

(By "jumping" we mean the custom toolbar disappearing and appearing again rapidly once whenever a key is pressed in an open document.)

I tried what Michael did, and the results are the same. I elaborate (and reiterate):

- When Word does not show windows in the taskbar for each open document, the jumping disappears.
- Turning on "windows in taskbar" results in jumping.
- Jumping occurs in all windows except in the first one opened.
- Jumping occurs simultaneously in every open document except in the first one opened.
- Typing in any window (including the first one opened) results in jumping in all windows except in the first one opened.
- This behaviour is also the same when Word is Outlook's email editor and an email is open (Word is in use in Outlook).
- Moving the custom toolbar next to an existing (or built-in) one, the jumping is not so noticeable since it's really only the custom toolbar disappearing and reappearing again.

I will later try an example with buttons on built-in toolbars and/or menus and see what happens there. I'll post the results here, of course.

//Ole Andreas
Posted 09 Aug, 2006 16:20:12 Top
Ole Andreas Ringdal

Just a question before I try the above: Sergey, if this jumping problem occurs because of, as you say, Word refreshing all custom command bars everytime you type, why does this jumping not occur with toolbars and buttons hooked up to VBA procedures and macros? There is also a lot of VBA code present in the Normal.dot my client uses, and the users have not in several years reported any behaviour like this.

//Ole Andreas
Posted 10 Aug, 2006 16:43:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ole Andreas.

For some reason I don't have this issue on my PC even though the 'Windows in Taskbar' option is checked. Probably there is something else in Word that causes the issue. I will investigate it and will let you know about results soon.
Posted 11 Aug, 2006 19:27:31 Top
Ole Andreas Ringdal

Hi Sergey,

The jumping issue is present on all three computers I use for developing, as well as on my clients' 30-something computers (haven't tested all of them, of course).

I tried modifying my Word and Outlook projects to use custom menus instead of toolbars, and there is no jumping whatsoever now. I think I'll settle for this solution, but there really should be a solution to this issue some time. After all, an important part of ADX is being able to easily extend Office-applications with, among other things, customized buttons and toolbars in Word.

Now I'll just figure out how to prevent the custom Outlook menu (of the same name as the custom Word menu) from showing up in Word when Word is Outlook's email editor...

Best regards,
Ole Andreas
Posted 12 Aug, 2006 04:30:01 Top