Catching Item Changes & Public folders

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Catching Item Changes & Public folders

mitchel c

Currently, I load up the Outlook contacts into a DataTable from my program and use it as a cached version (for performance reasons). I'm using reflection and the Outlook Security Manger 2005. I'm trying to figure out the best way to catch changes to items without holding open the Outlook instance or probing it every xxx minutes. Or maybe I do have to do it this way?

Another option is that I am using ADX.NET and have an add-in-loaded, maybe I should detect the change then when Outlook is loaded and follow it up with an IPC call into my app to do the update?

Next question, are there any examples for accessing public folders on here? I didn't see anything under the downloads. Specifically the toolbar I have should show up on mail items or contact items in public folders but as-is it does not, not sure why?
Posted 27 May, 2006 06:18:37 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mitchel.

It can be done via Extended MAPI. You can use the Advise method of the IMsgStore interface to receive notification of specified events.
As to public folders example, please download the example using the following link:
http://www.add-in-express.com/projects/olfoldernamesexample.zip
Posted 29 May, 2006 11:35:46 Top
mitchel c

Sergey,

Do you have any examples on how to use MAPI via reflection? I can't make outlook a requirement on my user's computer. I am also programming a solution for Thunderbird... Any ideas?

Thank you,
Mitchel
Posted 30 May, 2006 22:29:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Posted 31 May, 2006 09:58:28 Top