DevExpress XtraGrid + Tooltipcontroller in ADXExcelTaskPane

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

DevExpress XtraGrid + Tooltipcontroller in ADXExcelTaskPane

Albert Siagian

Dear all,

I want to use tooltip feature in DevExpress XtraGrid. I created a simple Winforms project, and follow this document:

http://documentation.devexpress.com/#WindowsForms/CustomDocument1964

It works as expected. I can see a tooltip on every row.

However, when I use same approach in ADXExcelTaskPane, the tooltip does not appear. Grid's data appear just fine, it's the tooltip doesn't work. Seems it does not even trap Handles ToolTipController1.GetActiveObjectInfo.

Anybody knows if I miss something, or is there solution to use tooltip ?

Note:
What I want to achieve is, when user hover a mouse in a row, it will display a tooltip message. So, if above solution does not work, any alternative way would be great.

Thanks.
Albert
Posted 30 Jul, 2012 23:17:21 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Albert,

Did you try to use standard controls from the System.Windows.Forms namespace? Are there any issues?

Please note that the cause of the issue can be related to DevExpress controls (not Add-in Express). So, are you able to reproduce the issue with System.Windows.Forms controls?
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 00:07:24 Top
Albert Siagian

Hi Eugene,

I have tested as follows in Add-in-Expres project:

1) Created new form based on System.Windows.Forms
2) Drop XtraGrid control
3) Drop Tooltipcontroller
4) Assign dataset to Xtragrid
5) Assign Tooltipcontroller1 to GridControl1

Put event from DevExpress documentation that I mentioned above

In Addinmodule.vb I put following command:
dim formtest100 as new formtest
formtest100.showdialog()

I can see tooltip on each row, so standard Windows form works. Let me know what you find at your side.

Thanks.
Albert

PS: I have screen shot if you need to see it, but I don't see option to attach a file from my hard drive.
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 00:58:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Albert,

Please note that the cause of the issue can be related to DevExpress controls (not Add-in Express). Are you able to reproduce the issue with System.Windows.Forms controls (not DevExpress)?
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 04:34:55 Top
Albert Siagian

Hi Eugene,

Standard Windows controls work, so here is the situation:

ADXExcelTaskPane + standard Windows form gridview and tooltip = working fine

Standard Windows Form + DevExpress XtraGrid + DevExpress Tooltipcontroller = working fine

ADXExcelTaskPane + DevExpress XtraGrid + DevExpress Tooltipcontroller = does not display tooltip

The question now is, which control causing this issue ? If I ask DevExpress support, they probably also say it's Add-In Express problem.

I can't go back using standard Windows controls, for maintaining consistency screen layout.

Any idea ?

Regards.
Albert
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 05:45:43 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Albert,

Could you please provide us with a sample add-in project and windows forms application? You can use the support e-mail address (see readme.txt for details). I will test both projects on a PC with DevExpress controls installed and let you know whether it depends on our code.

BTW Did you try to reproduce the issue with a regular VSTO add-in using http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942864%28v=vs.80%29.aspx?
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 06:26:23 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Albert,

While searching for the cause I have found the following:

1. https://www.google.by/search?q=ToolTips+in+MDI+child+forms+do+not+work+devexpress&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
2. http://www.devexpress.com/Support/Center/Question/Details/Q414983

As you may see this is a well-known issue with DevExpress controls. What version of DevExpress controls do you have installed on the PC?
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 08:15:36 Top
Albert Siagian

Hi Eugene,

I have sent the sample project for your review.

I also created regular VSTO using following steps:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942846%28v=vs.80%29.aspx#Y684

The difference is on step #4, that I put DevExpress XtraGrid and Tooltipcontroller controls. Tooltip works fine in all rows. Hopefully this narrows down the issue.

Regards.
Albert
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 08:18:36 Top
Albert Siagian

Hi Eugene,

I am using DevExpress 2012.1.4, and already sent the project file to your support team.

As my reply above, that I use regular VSTO and DevExpress controls, works fine.

So the summary is :
ADXExcelTaskPane + standard Windows form gridview and tooltip = working fine

Standard Windows Form + DevExpress XtraGrid + DevExpress Tooltipcontroller = working fine

ADXExcelTaskPane + DevExpress XtraGrid + DevExpress Tooltipcontroller = does not display tooltip

Regular VSTO + DevExpress XtraGrid + DevExpress Tooltipcontroller = working fine

Regards.
Albert
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 08:23:20 Top
Albert Siagian

Hi Eugene,

Additional info, I am using Office 2007 with all patches installed.

Regards.
Albert
Posted 31 Jul, 2012 08:39:45 Top