[Issus] How To Update an Addin Assembly?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

[Issus] How To Update an Addin Assembly?

Sven Heitmann

Good Morning :)

I have some trouble with updates of my Addin.

Currently I update my Addin this way that I just replace my Addin Assembly with a new build. The problem is when I sign my Addin with a StrongName, Word can not load the Assembly because some Error occurs...

When I do not sign my Assembly, Word is not loading the Addin automatically. I have to activate it with the "ComAddins Dialog", then it's working fine...

However thats not a good solution I think.

Is there some way an msi File can be created wich will update an existing Installation?

Uninstalling and do a fresh Installation is not an option because in my TargetDirectory is some data stored that should not be deleted.
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 05 Oct, 2004 02:29:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi,

the best way is to uninstall the previous version of addin and install a new one.
During the uninstalation data created earlier by your addin must remain without any changes since the intaller removes only its own files.
Posted 05 Oct, 2004 07:51:20 Top
Sven Heitmann

Ok. Thank you very much. :)
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 05 Oct, 2004 09:00:09 Top
Sven Heitmann

Sergey, do you know some way the setup project can do an update of an installation?

I know some programs like Nero who provide a "Update Fieles" Option... is this possible with the SetupProject in VisualStudio?

Or an auomatically Uninstall previous Version and Install new Version package.
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 06 Oct, 2004 03:42:01 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hi Sven,

I'm instead of Sergey :-)
You cannot do this with standard setup projects. But there must be 3-rd party solutions.

But it seems we have to think over "auomatically Uninstall". If we find a solution I will let you know.
Posted 06 Oct, 2004 09:02:31 Top
Sven Heitmann

Thanks a lot =)
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 06 Oct, 2004 09:10:05 Top