AccessViolationException with MS Project

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

AccessViolationException with MS Project
AccessViolationException with MS Project occurs after saving the .mpp file 
Wellyn Pomeroy

I am creating an add-in for MS Project. The add-in has a task pane (called UserControl1) and inside this pane are 3 radio buttons called "ALL", "INS", and "ENS".

The code for the task pane and buttons is here...

Public Class UserControl1

' ------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' System Component Radio Button
    ' ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Private Sub SetComponentFilteredON(ByVal c As String)

If c = "ALL" Then
            CType(AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule.CurrentInstance, NeuroPMO.AddinModule).MSProjectApp.SetAutoFilter(FieldName:="Text5")
        Else
            CType(AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule.CurrentInstance, NeuroPMO.AddinModule).MSProjectApp.SetAutoFilter(FieldName:="Text5", FilterType:=2, Criteria1:=c)
        End If

'Select the top row in the table
        CType(AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule.CurrentInstance, NeuroPMO.AddinModule).MSProjectApp.SelectBeginning()

End Sub

Private Sub rbALLComp_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles rbALLComp.Click
        SetComponentFilteredON("ALL")
    End Sub

Public Sub rbINS_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles rbINS.Click
        SetComponentFilteredON("INS")
    End Sub

Private Sub rbENS_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles rbENS.Click
        SetComponentFilteredON("ENS")
    End Sub

End Class

I then start debugging. When Project 2010 opens, I open a .mpp file. This file has only 2 tasks in it. The first task has Text5 set to "INS" and the second task has Text5 set to "ENS".

I then click one of the radio buttons, click any cell in the table, and then save the .mpp file. After saving, when I click a radio button again I will occasionally, but not always, get the AccessViolationException error. I can usually get it to happen within the first 5 attempts.

System.AccessViolationException was unhandled
Message: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Can you please help me understand why this happens?
Posted 11 Jun, 2012 12:54:03 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Wellyn,

Could you please send a sample add-in project which can reproduce the issue ( the source code, of course) to the support e-mail address ( see readme.txt for details)? I will test it in one of my virtual PCs.
Posted 11 Jun, 2012 16:03:37 Top
Wellyn Pomeroy

I just sent an email.
Posted 12 Jun, 2012 10:39:17 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Wellyn,

I still didn't get any attachment from you. Do you have any antivirus software installed on the PC?
Posted 12 Jun, 2012 11:15:09 Top
Wellyn Pomeroy

Eugene - I have been assured by our corporate IT group that my computer (and the file I sent earlier) is not infected by a virus. My computer is monitored with Symantec Endpoint Protection. Is there a way you can unblock my email address?
Posted 12 Jun, 2012 12:51:01 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Wellyn,

Your e-mail is not blocked because I got all your e-mails in my Inbox; I didn't miss any. Moreover, I have received a .mpp file. What should I do to open it?

FYI Please note that you can upload a sample add-in project to any web server and then provide me with a link for download (via e-mail).
Posted 13 Jun, 2012 05:01:45 Top
Wellyn Pomeroy

Posted 19 Jun, 2012 12:44:26 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Wellyn,

I have downloaded the sample add-in project. Here is what I get when I try to unpack the downloaded archive:

User added an image
Posted 20 Jun, 2012 04:21:04 Top
Wellyn Pomeroy

Wow, this is crazy. I guess I will just try uploading all the files w/o zipping it. Give me some time. Thanks for being patient with all of this.
Posted 20 Jun, 2012 10:49:43 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Wellyn,

Sure. Please let me know when you are done.
Posted 20 Jun, 2012 10:53:50 Top