UDF crashing Excel when inside Excel addin module

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

UDF crashing Excel when inside Excel addin module

jeff yung

Hi,

I need some help coding a UDF that ultimately calls a RTD inside an Excel Addin module.

I created a Excel addin with both RTD and UDF (XLL addin).

I got RTD working in that it replaces the values in the Excel cell appropriately.

When I tried to call the UDF and typed in the formula into Excel cell, it immediatedly caused Excel to crash. Is there a bug?

Note, I created a XLL solution by itself and it works. but somehow I have modified the code to return different values and also added another function, but the UDF doesn't appear to have changed in Excel. I have recompiled and also reregistered ADX but still nothing updated.

My environment:

Windows 7 Pro SP1
VS 2010 using .net 4 framework
Office 2010
VB

Add-in-express build 3061

Thanks,

-Jeff
Posted 07 Jun, 2012 14:42:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jeff,

Please take a look at the http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/03/24/addin-xll-rtd-one-assembly/ article on our technical blog. Did you try to run a sample add-in project attached to the article? Does it work as expected?

Anyway, how can I reproduce the Excel crash? Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project? If so, could you please send it to the support e-mail address for testing?
Posted 08 Jun, 2012 03:20:20 Top
jeff yung

Hi Eugene,

Yes, the sample project from the article works as expected.

What I don't understand is that I think I have followed the instructions to create the all in one solution with RTD and XLL, so what's different?

But I did notice that your solution outputs to a DLL. My solution actually has a task pane form.

I have posted a copy of my solution to support.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Posted 08 Jun, 2012 08:46:31 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for providing me with the sample add-in project. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the issue on my PC with Office 2010 installed. The add-in works like a charm!

Do I need to do anything special/extra steps?

May I also get the adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log files from the problematic PC after Excel crashes?
Posted 08 Jun, 2012 09:35:35 Top
jeff yung

Update...

Thanks Eugene for your help. It appears that I needed to modify the loader manifest file to add in the following:

<logFileLocation>C:\temp\adxloader.log</logFileLocation>

-Jeff
Posted 08 Jun, 2012 10:21:01 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jeff,

Do you use a roaming profile? Is the My Documents folder accessible and located locally?
Posted 12 Jun, 2012 08:26:30 Top