the breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been loaded

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

the breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been loaded

Wyatt Albiston

When debugging the add-in, I attach the Outlook process and set my break point at the add-ins adxOutlookEvents_Startup event. The break point is hollowed out and when I pass my cursor over it I get the following error:

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been loaded for this document."

When I run the add-in the breakpoint is never hit. Any suggestions?

I'm running Visual Studio 2005 Pro, Outlook 11, Windows XP SP2 and using the shim with the add-in.

Thanks,
Wyatt
Posted 17 May, 2006 11:31:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Wyatt.

I have a couple of questions.
Do you run the debug configuration of the add-in?
Have you attached Outlook via the 'Start External Program' property of the add-in project?
Posted 18 May, 2006 09:50:52 Top
Wyatt Albiston

I am building and running the add-in in debug mode. I have used both the "Start External Program" and "Attach to Process" modes. When I look at the modules screen in Visual Studio I dont see the add-ins .dll listed. All thats showing is Outlook or MS Office related items.
Posted 18 May, 2006 10:00:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Wyatt, try to clear the dll cache and run the add-in in debug mode again:
C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\assembly\dl2\
Posted 18 May, 2006 10:39:03 Top
Wyatt Albiston

I do not see the folder assembly in my Application Data folder but have deleted everything in Application Data. I still do not see any of the add-in express .dlls in the modules window, and its still not stopping on the break points.

It seems like Outlook is some how not loading the .dll I have in my project. Like possibly its loading an older one.

Also, I have tried to create a new add-in express porject and debug. I get the same results.

In Outlook, should the add-in show up in the Add-ins Manager window for this to work?
Posted 18 May, 2006 10:46:24 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Wyatt, you should debug COM add-ins using the 'Start External Program' property only.
If the add-in is loaded, you will see it in the COM Add-ins dialog of a host application. However, if the add-in is registered for all users, it will not be visible in the COM Add-ins dialog.

Are you able to debug other applications (e.g. Class Libraries or Windows Applications)?
Posted 18 May, 2006 11:51:27 Top
Wyatt Albiston

I am able to debug other applications including my own application in the same solution as the add-in.

When I run the application using that option I get a message box saying: "Debugging information for 'OUTLOOK.EXE' cannot be found or does not match. No symbols loaded. Do you want to continue debugging?

Clicking yes does not allow me to debug it.
Posted 18 May, 2006 16:43:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Wyatt.

Could you please check if the 'Enable unmanaged code debugging' option of the project is checked? If so, just uncheck it and run the project again.

One more thing is if you have Outlook hung in the background, you will not able to debug the add-in too. Please check it in the 'Task Manager' tool.
Posted 19 May, 2006 12:03:51 Top