Will two add-ins with different ADX versions cause a loading conflict?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Will two add-ins with different ADX versions cause a loading conflict?

Nicholas Hebb

A customer reported a loading failure - Excel displayed an error message, prompting to disable the add-in. Looking at the adxloader.log, I noticed that the customer is running another add-in that uses Add-in Express, but it uses an older version and has a higher security requirement. Both the other add-in and my add-in target .NET 2.0. This is the only customer who has reported this problem, so I was wondering if the different Add-in Express versions might be an issue.

Here are excerpts from the log (I can email you the entire log if needed):

Other add-in (loads first)
=================================================
Loader version: 6.4.3056.0
Process Owner: Administrator
Run 'As Administrator': Yes
Process Elevated: Yes
Integrity Level: High
UAC (User Account Control): Off

My add-in when running alongside other add-in
Loader version: 6.6.3059.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
Run 'As Administrator': Yes
Process Elevated: Yes
Integrity Level: High
UAC (User Account Control): Off

My addin when running alone
Loader version: 6.6.3059.0
Run 'As Administrator': No
Process Elevated: No
Integrity Level: Medium
UAC (User Account Control): On
Posted 01 Mar, 2012 00:10:15 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nicholas,

You are on the wrong avenue because each Add-in Express add-in is loaded into a separate application domain (see the AppDomain.CurrentDomain property). Most probably an exception is occured at add-in startup. You can read more about this in the http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-tips.php#exception-startup section of the online documentation. Also please pay attention to the fact that the UAC is disabled on the problematic PC. The http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-debugging-tips.php#uac states the following:

The User Account Control (UAC) should be turned on Vista; it should be set to the default level on windows 2008 Server and Windows 7. This is necessary when you install a COM add-in for all users on the PC, that is, when the RegisterForAllUsers property of the add-in module is true. Note that when UAC is off, a per-user add-in (RegisterForAllUsers = false) installed by an administrator will not work. This is restriction of systems with UAC.
Posted 01 Mar, 2012 00:51:33 Top
Nicholas Hebb

Hi Eugene,

If they run in different AppDomains, does the other add-in still affect the settings for my add-in? As you can see from the comparison I posted above the Run 'As Administrator', Process Elevated, and Integrity Level are different when running alongside the other add-in than when running alone.

Also, my add-in doesn't have the UAC setting set to false, so would this be a setting the user has made to their system or could it be a setting that the other add-in initiated?
Posted 01 Mar, 2012 01:03:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nicholas,

If course, I have noticed these lines in the log: they depend on the UAC settings. Please try to turn it on. Does it help?
Posted 01 Mar, 2012 01:07:22 Top