Access add-in: Database won't compress after accessing it via code...

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Access add-in: Database won't compress after accessing it via code...

Heinz-Josef Bomanns

Hi,

ADX latest version, Access 2002-2010: A database is set to compress automatically on exit. After running a dialog from the add-in and leaving the database i get an error 'Database is exclusivelly opened by user X on machine Y...' and the database won't compress. The dialog accesses the current database to fill a combobox with the names of tables like this:

Dim db As dao.Database = Nothing, tds As dao.TableDefs = Nothing, td As dao.TableDef = Nothing

db = AddinModule.CurrentInstance.HostApplication.CurrentDB() 'Access Application
  tds = db.TableDefs
  With clAccTables
    .Items.Clear()
    .Items.Add("<Choose table>")
    For Each td In tds
      If Not td.Name.StartsWith("MSys") And Not td.Name.StartsWith("USys") Then
        .Items.Add(td.Name)
      End If
    Next 'td
    .SelectedIndex = 0
  End With 'clAccTables
  Marshal.ReleaseComObject(td) : td = Nothing
  Marshal.ReleaseComObject(tds) : tds = Nothing
  Marshal.ReleaseComObject(db) : db = Nothing

As you see i release all object variables i use, so there should be no open references that prevent the database from automatically compressing. If i don't open the dialog, i don't get this error. Any ideas or hints whats going wrong here? Thanks...

PS: If testing this you'll have to alter at least one record to give Access a reason to do the compressing...
Posted 20 Feb, 2012 00:15:58 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Heinz-Josef,

Where does the clAccTables object come from? Anyway, please note that you don't release the Items collection. Please read more about this in the http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2008/10/30/releasing-office-objects-net/ article on our technical blog.
Posted 20 Feb, 2012 03:23:30 Top
Heinz-Josef Bomanns

Hi Eugene,

clAccTables is a combobox that just holds some strings (names of the Access tables), no objects, so Items can't/won't have to be released. Mentioned article i've readed several times since working with ADX and all tips & hints has been followed - all used object variables i've declared and used are relaesed afterwards. Any other ideas? Thanks...
Posted 22 Feb, 2012 03:08:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Heinz-Josef,

The article I mentioned above doesn't recommend using the For Each loop with COM objects. For example:

For Each td In tds 

Do you release the td object each time?
Posted 22 Feb, 2012 03:22:43 Top
Heinz-Josef Bomanns

Hi Eugene,

thanks, will try that and let you know...
Posted 25 Feb, 2012 12:59:03 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Heinz-Josef,

Please keep me notified.
Posted 26 Feb, 2012 10:25:24 Top