UDF function screentips

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

UDF function screentips

nwein

Although I can't find it in the forums, I'm 100% this has been asked over and over again, so please forgive me in advance...
So many users in other on-line forums ask this question and there doesn't seem to be a solution for this, but maybe you guys have what it takes to solve it.
Basically, is it possible to show http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289146 while in edit mode, in-line the cell, just like built-in functions.
If this is not possible by any way (most likely), I've just learned that clicking Ctrl+Shift+a will show the message signature in cell, while in edit mode, even for UDFs - would it be possible to trigger this Ctrl+shift+a (or whatever is behind it) when typing a UDF?

User added an image
Posted 06 Feb, 2012 13:33:06 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nir,

You are right. I have found a lot of forum threads on the web discussing tooltips for Excel UDFs and none of them provides a solution. It looks like Excel doesn't provide anything for http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138341 (I mean XLL SDK).
Posted 07 Feb, 2012 04:02:57 Top
Henri Pellemans

I've just learned that clicking Ctrl+Shift+a will show the message signature in cell, while in edit mode, even for UDFs

Thanks for the CRTL+SHIFT+A tip. It was new for me. This can be time saving in the following situation:

I have some large data sheets. Usually I give each column or each row [or an other Range] a Name that is exactly the same as its parameter name in my ADX XLL UDFs. After CTRL+SHIFT+A and pressing ENTER my function is filled in completely with names, so I don't have to type all these names in the function wizard. Some of my UDFs have more than 15 parameters. It also reduces the chance of typing errors.
Posted 07 Feb, 2012 06:14:33 Top
nwein

Glad you found it helpful Henri :)
Eugene - any way of recreating auto Ctrl+Shift+A when in edit mode in the XLL (or in a COM addin, I have both)?
Posted 07 Feb, 2012 10:57:14 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nir,

Sorry, but I don't quite understand you. We discussed XLL UDFs (not COM add-ins). Am I right? So, in case of COM add-ins where do you expect to find a screentip?
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 09:14:09 Top
nwein

I was trying to say that if screentips are possible in any sort of way, I don't mind implementing them either in an XLL module or in a COM module, just as long as I can display those screentips for UDFs.
If screentips are not possible, then I was wondering if it's possible to trigger Shift+Ctrl+a when the user is typing a UDF. The triggering of the shortcut can be done, again, either in XLL or COM, I don't care (as a matter of fact, if it's doable in another way I'd do it there as well).
Hope it makes better sense now
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 10:47:55 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nir,

Thank you for the explanation. First of all, please note that function screentips belong to XLL UDFs. A COM add-in will not help in this case. Also triggering Shift+Ctrl+a programatically will not help because it doesn't work now when I press these buttons on the keyboard.
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 11:33:22 Top
nwein

Thanks for the effort Eugene
Posted 09 Feb, 2012 15:32:12 Top
Eugene Astafiev

You are welcome, Nir!
Posted 10 Feb, 2012 02:38:34 Top