Outlook Security Manager installation issue

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Security Manager installation issue

Dmitry Nikitin

Hi,

I have VS2003 and VS2005 Express Edition installed on my machine. When running the installer it enables only 1 check box - against VS2003. Why is that? Is there any solution to work it out?

Thanks,
Dmitry

PS.: I'm running Windows XP 64 bit edition.
Posted 03 May, 2006 02:31:39 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dmitry.

The fact is that Add-in Express .NET doesn't support Express Editions of Visual Studio.
Posted 03 May, 2006 06:03:18 Top
Dmitry Nikitin

Sergey, I've just installed VS2003 version of the package (to try it with VS2003)... When I build OutlookAddin solution from the demo projects, it's saying "...AddinModule.cs(14): The type or namespace name 'MSO' does not exist in the class or namespace 'AddinExpress' (are you missing an assembly reference?)".

What's wrong?

Another question is regarding my first message... I do not quite understand why the module wouldn't support vs2005 express while it supports vs2005..

As far as I understand the package is just a com object. So, in theory, it should not matter what VS I use the object in.

To be honest, I'm only interested in the DisableCDOWarnings functionality as I need to disable the pop-ups. What I did is:
In VS2005 Express Edition I selected the SecurityManager component. Then I dragged and dropped the component onto my WinForms app. In a button click handler I set DisableCDOWarnings = true; and then tried to build the project. The result is: "The 'secman.OutlookSecurityManager' COM object is not registered". Then I did regsvr32 secman - success. Next try - same result. Then I tied to get it working on VS2003 - still no effect.

Your help would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Dmitry
Posted 03 May, 2006 22:23:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dmitry.

You should have Add-in Express .NET for VS 2003 installed on the PC to run the OutlookAddin example.
Can you send me (by email) the product key that you have used to activate OSM component during the installation process? I will check it.

Another question is regarding my first message... I do not quite understand why the module wouldn't support vs2005 express while it supports vs2005..

VS 2005 Express Edition has some limitations that don't allow us to support it.
Posted 04 May, 2006 08:24:53 Top
Dmitry Nikitin

Segrey,

I've just sent to you the information requested.. I'm not sure whether it's been actually sent or not. I've used web interface to send the email and received no confirmation when I submitted the form.

If you don't receive the email, can you please provide your email address and I'll re-send it to you.

VS 2005 Express Edition has some limitations that don't allow us to support it

What sort of limitations?

Thanks,
Dmitry
Posted 04 May, 2006 18:50:31 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dmitry.

I received your email. Thanks.
Do you develop your application under the same system account that you have used to install the OSM component?

What sort of limitations?

As far as I know VS Express Edition doesn't support Class Library projects as well as setup projects.
Posted 05 May, 2006 08:40:45 Top
Dmitry Nikitin

Sergey,

Do you develop your application under the same system account that you have used to install the OSM component?
Correct.

As far as I know VS Express Edition doesn't support Class Library projects as well as setup projects
well.. it doesn't support MSI projetcs - true, however, it does support class library projects.

So, in the context of component usage it shouldn't matter, should it?

I haven't done lots of MSIs at all, but I would assume that you probably have some problems making MSI for the package to be installable for VS2005 EE... If this is the case I believe that I can use the OSM component by referencing my VS EE to it manually... somehow... Is that possible to get the actual dlls for vs2005 so I could play with them?

PS.: I don't know what's been changed (maybe it's just windows restart) but I got it working on VS2003...
Posted 07 May, 2006 18:27:22 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dmitry.

Probably Microsoft added some new wizards to VS 2005 Express. I didn't see the Class Library wizard before. I will install VS 2005 Express again and check it. However we are not going to support it during the summer. The fact is that we have a lot of work now.

As to the OSM component, try to add it via the 'Choose Toolbox Items' dialog in VS or just add the SecurityManager.2005.dll assembly manually via the 'Add Reference' dialog of your project.

Posted 08 May, 2006 14:07:32 Top
Dmitry Nikitin

As to the OSM component, try to add it via the 'Choose Toolbox Items' dialog in VS or just add the SecurityManager.2005.dll assembly manually via the 'Add Reference' dialog of your project.

Here's the problem.. I do not have SecurityManager.2005.dll as the installer allows me to install only the version for vs2003.

Can you please send to me dlls for vs2005?

Thanks
Posted 08 May, 2006 20:31:24 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Dmitry.

I have just sent you the dll.
Posted 09 May, 2006 12:36:57 Top