Add-in does not load in Outlook 2010

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in does not load in Outlook 2010

Mike Medved

Dev environment is Add-in-express v605-b3057, VS 2010, C#, Windows 7 (64 bit), Outlook 2010 (32 bit)

I am working on a Setup for my Add-in for Outlook. Everything works fine if I use the result Setup file on Windows XP (32 bit) with either Outlook 2003 or 2007. However if I try to use the same install on my development machine (after unregistering the project within VS), it looks like the add-in installs successfully, but when I run Outlook, it is as if it was never installed.

I checked Disabled Add-ins in Outlook - not there
Checked PublicKeyToken - setup and adxloader.dll.manifest match.
I have admin rights on the Win 7 machine and do have rights to the folder where the plug-in is installed.
and the addin does not show up in the registry at all:
{HKLM or HKCU}\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\AddIns\{my add-in name}

Also have some issues switching from framework 4 to 3.5, but will put that in a separate post.

I'm stumped. Please help

Thanks
Posted 16 Oct, 2011 21:36:48 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mike,

May I see the adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log files from the problematic PC?
Posted 17 Oct, 2011 04:12:27 Top
Mike Medved

Just sent you the files.

NOTE: When I install the add-in using the MSI and start Outlook, the adxloader.log file is NOT generated. The file I sent you is generated when I register the project within Visual Studio. I did notice that it had:
Loader version: 6.3.3052.0

No idea where it is getting that version, but since it worked, I did try to replace the loader used by the installed add-in after the install with the older version, just to check if the issue is with the newer one - still no go.

Thanks
Posted 17 Oct, 2011 09:20:42 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mike,

Thank you for providing me with the log files.

I have noticed the following lines in the adxregistrator.log file:

Process Owner: Administrator
Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\3GK Labs, Inc\TaskView\adxregistrator.exe" /install="TaskView.dll" /privileges=admin
Run 'As Administrator': No
Process Elevated: No

Do you run the setup.exe (not msi)?
Posted 17 Oct, 2011 09:35:19 Top
Mike Medved

I've been running the MSI. When I ran setup.exe it seems to have worked. If using setup.exe is a requirement, is there any way of making it self contained?
Posted 17 Oct, 2011 10:03:16 Top
Mike Medved

Another issue related to the Install on Win 7 you probably have some experience with:

My Outlook add-in accesses some web services. After I ran the deployment install using SETUP.EXE, the add-in loads in outlook, but now I get errors with the web service because it cannot find the APP.CONFIG file.

I dug around a bit and found that instead of trying to access the APP.CONFIG in my add-in install dir:
C:\Program Files (x86)\3GK Labs, Inc\TaskView\app.config

it instead tries to access:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Outlook.exe.config

I checked various setups:
1) XP, Outlook 2003 - Deployment Install, running Outlook on its own - works fine
2) XP, Outlook 2007 - Deployment Install, running Outlook on its own - works fine
3) Win 7, Outlook 2010 - Registering ADX Project in VS and running in debug mode - works fine
4) Win 7, Outlook 2010 - Registering ADX Project in VS and running Outlook on its own - works fine
5) Win 7, Outlook 2010 - Deployment Install, running Outlook on its own - PROBLEM

So I only get this issue when I go through the Install, on Win 7 Outlook 2010 environment.

Any idea why this is happening and how to get around it? Am I setting something wrong in the install setup? I would have expected situations #4 and #5 to either both work or both have the problem if it was just an environment issue.

Thanks
Posted 17 Oct, 2011 15:59:17 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mike,

If using setup.exe is a requirement, is there any way of making it self contained?

Nope. It requires for the UAC subsystem. Please take a look at the http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-debugging-tips.php#uac section in the online documentation for more information.

Please note that you develop a COM add-in, not a standalone application. The application in which your add-in is loaded is Outlook. That is why you can get the config file for Outlook (not add-in). Anyway, please check out the configFileName attribute in the adxloader.dll.manifest file. What value does it contain?
Posted 18 Oct, 2011 05:49:41 Top
Mike Medved

configFileName="app.config"
Posted 18 Oct, 2011 06:00:13 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mike,

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project? If so, could you please send it to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt for details)?
Posted 18 Oct, 2011 06:08:00 Top
Mike Medved

Eugene,

Your questions led me to the fix for the problem. the adxloader.dll.manifest was not being included in the install, which is why the host app config file was being used. I must have accidentally deleted it from the setup project. Thank you very much for the assist.
Posted 18 Oct, 2011 07:56:08 Top