Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

XLL Additional Module
How to implement an additional XLL module 
Henri Pellemans

Hi,

I have read the following topic:
http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=4167

I have a similar problem, and I do not understand the solution provided in that topic [at least I do not know what code I have to use, and where to put this code].

I will describe my problem as follows:

I have a lot of UDFs in a single XLL module. Now I would like to transfer some of these UDFs to a second XLL module [in the same solution]. I can add a XLLAdditionalModule to the project. But UDFs in this [second] module are not visible in Excel.

The UDFs in the second XLL module should also be available in the first XLL module [and the UDFs in the first XLL module should also be available in the second XLL module]

Can you help me by providing the VB.NET code and tell me where to put in the module[s]?

Best regards,

Henri

BTW I have the most recent versions of ADX 2010 Pro, Visual Studio 2010 Pro and Excel 2010 32-bit
Posted 07 Oct, 2011 04:39:03 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Henri,

Please note that you need to add your additional module to the Modules collection of your main XLL module in Visual Studio (see the Modules property of your XLL add-in module in the designer). That is all. Moreover, you don't need to use any code for this. Just add your second module manually at design-time.
Posted 07 Oct, 2011 04:48:11 Top
Henri Pellemans

Hi Eugene,

I created an XLL add-in. In the solutions explorer I rightclick on XLLModule.vb and choose View Designer. In the properties window I go to Modules and then I add two times ADXXLLAdditionalModule with the names HenriModuleItem1 and HenriModuleItem2.

Then I rightclick on XLLModule.vb and I choose View Code.

The code in XLLModule.vb starts with Imports ... and then it shows:
<ComVisible(True)> _
Public Class XLLModule
Inherits AddinExpress.MSO.ADXXLLModule
Friend WithEvents HenriModuleItem1 As AddinExpress.MSO.ADXXLLAdditionalModuleItem
Friend WithEvents HenriModuleItem2 As AddinExpress.MSO.ADXXLLAdditionalModuleItem

I thought now I would have at least two and I even expect three XLL modules to put my UDFs in. I only see one module.

Before I started this topic I did the following:

I created an XLL add-in. I rightclick the project and choose Add Item. I can select either XLL Add-in Module [with description: Implements an XLL add-in Add-In Express based projects] or XLL Add-in Additional Module [with description: An additional COM add-in Module]. BTW the second description seems a bit strange to me. I added two add-ins by choosing XLL Add-in Module.

In this way I have three XLL Modules. The code shows:

In XLLModule.vb

<ComVisible(True)> _
Public Class XLLModule

In XLLModule1.vb

<ComVisible(True)> _
Public Class XLLModule1

In XLLModule2vb

<ComVisible(True)> _
Public Class XLLModule2

Now I can put my UDFs in three different modules. The problem arises that only the UDFs in the first Module are visible in Excel. And I can not use the UDFs of the first module in the second module. How do I refer to those UDFs?

Perhaps there is a very easy solution, but at this moment I don't get it.

Thanks for any help

Henri

PS the same happens when I choose XLL Add-in Additional Module instead of XLL Add-in Module.
Posted 07 Oct, 2011 09:32:46 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Henri,

1. Create a new XLL project.
2. Add a new item called XLL Add-in Additional Module.
3. Add the just added module to the Modules collection of your main XLL module.

It looks like we need to correct the description. I have added such record in our bug-tracking system under #3262. Thank you for pointing this to me!

FYI Anyway, I have sent a sample XLL add-in project to you. Please check out your Inbox.
Posted 07 Oct, 2011 10:22:24 Top
Henri Pellemans

Hi Eugene,

Thank you for sending the sample XLL add-in. The bad news: it is in C#, that I am not familiar with. The good news: however, in the C# code I found that I not only have to add the module to the modules collection of the first XLL module. I also should refer to the ModuleProgID.

That said, I created 3 XLL modules, each with a function. All functions are now available in Excel. So far so good. Half of the problem is solved.

Now the remainder of my quest.

In XLL Module 2 I cannot use the UDFs I defined in XLL Module 1. And so on.

In my opinion it shouldn't be too difficult to do this.

How do I do this?

Best regards,

Henri
Posted 07 Oct, 2011 12:38:07 Top
Henri Pellemans

If for once I may quote myself: "In my opinion it shouldn't be too difficult to do this".

Indeed, with some trial and error I solved the second part of the problem.

You can use the UDFs in the other XLL modules by referring to them as follows:

In XLLModule you add the code:
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLAdditionalModule1.XLLContainer
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLAdditionalModule2.XLLContainer

In XLLAdditionalModule1 you add the code
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLModule.XLLContainer
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLAdditionalModule2.XLLContainer

In XLLAdditionalModule2 you add the code
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLModule.XLLContainer
Imports MyXLLAddin1.XLLAdditionalModule1.XLLContainer

That's all.

Have a nice weekend,

Henri
Posted 08 Oct, 2011 05:27:21 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Henri,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge for other forum readers. Good luck with your add-in project!
Posted 10 Oct, 2011 07:32:30 Top