Installer for Outlook Regions

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installer for Outlook Regions

This forum has moved to a new location. From now on, please post all your questions about Add-in Express Regions on .NET and VSTO forum.
Robert Needham

I have recently purchased Outlook Regions and have successfully set up a project and am ready to try installing it on other machines. I have read the guides for creating installer packages for other Add-in express products but wondered if there was one for Regions?

Ideally I would like to create a simple Windows MSI installer that would allow the region to be automatically installed in the Outlook instance on the target machine.

Thanks in advance.
Posted 16 Jun, 2011 09:42:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Robert,

Since this is a VSTO project, you create an .MSI installer in the way you do for any other VSTO project. There are no special things implied or required by Add-in Express.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Jun, 2011 09:52:39 Top
Robert Needham

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I've looked at the following guide to creating MSI installers with Office extensions, which I presume should be similar:

http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/02/22/deploying-permachine-office-extensions-msi-installer/

Step 3 of this guide says to right-click on the project and select "Create Setup Project", but I do not have this option on the right-click menu of my Outlook Regions project. I have the "Build, Rebuild, Clean" options, followed by the "Add, Add Reference..." options with nothing in between.

If it helps I am using Visual Studio 2010 running on Windows XP and Outlook 2007. I have no problem with running the project directly and integrating with my Outlook instance.

Thanks again, let me know if you need any more info.
Posted 16 Jun, 2011 10:39:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Robert,

Oh, no. That article refers to the .NET edition of Add-in Express. Since your project is a VSTO project, and not an Add-in Express one, you need to use a totally different way:

- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937(office.12).aspx
- http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsto/thread/10a6df09-9e89-47b1-9e89-f8a7880a1636

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 Jun, 2011 12:47:58 Top
Robert Needham

I have managed to create an installer based on your instructions - thanks for that. However I am having a problem deploying to other versions of Outlook. The region was developed in Outlook 2007 and I am able to install it on other machines that have Outlook 2007 on. However, when I try to install it on another machine that has Outlook 2010 on (I've tried this on two separate machines), I get the following error when trying to enable the region:

System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException: File, xxxxxxxx.dll, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.DownloadAddIn(TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

It seems this is something to do with the key associated with the .vsto file, but I'm not sure how to get around it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted 01 Jul, 2011 03:17:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Robert,

It looks like your add-in is signed using a test digital certificate generated in VS. Have you tried using a valid digital certificate obtained, for instance, from VeriSign?

What Windows versions (and SPs) and what .NET Framework versions (and SPs) do you have installed on the development PC, on the machine where the installation succeeded, and on the "2010" machine?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 05 Jul, 2011 05:46:48 Top