IntResource64.dll is being used by another process

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

IntResource64.dll is being used by another process

This forum has moved to a new location. From now on, please post all your questions about Add-in Express Regions on .NET and VSTO forum.
David Burke

Sometimes outlook crashes with the following exception:

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\D\AppData\Local\Temp\IntResource64.dll' because it is being used by another process.
Exception time: 21-May-12 3:20:24 PM
ADXOLMessageHook.CallbackFunction code = 0, wParam = 0, lParam = 1238752
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at AddinExpress.Extensions.ADXIntResource..ctor()
at AddinExpress.Extensions.ADXCustomHostHook.InitializeIntResource()
at AddinExpress.Extensions.ADXOLMessageHook.CallbackFunction(Int32 code, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
Posted 28 May, 2012 09:22:30 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Do you have any antivirus software installed on the PC?

The fact is that the intresource.dll (intresource64.dll) file is unpacked to the Temporarily folder on the fly. To prevent this, please try to place the intresource.dll and intresource64.dll files to the same folder with your add-in project files. You can find these files in the Redistributables subfolder of the Add-in Express installation folder. Please let me know whether it helps.

BTW May I also ask you to enter a valid product key into your profile? The fact is that your key is blocked and you need to use a new one (purchased a bit later).
Posted 28 May, 2012 10:21:17 Top
David Burke

Hi Eugene,

Yes, I have AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 installed. I'll try your suggestion now....
Posted 28 May, 2012 12:19:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Also please make sure that Outlook.exe is not listed in the list of running processes after closing.

Did try to disable AVG? Does it help?

Anyway, please keep me notified.
Posted 28 May, 2012 12:25:02 Top
David Burke

Hi Eugene,

The problem hasn't reoccurred since I applied you fix but it was happening intermittently anyway. I will try disabling AVG if it happens again.

I am interested to know why you think placing intresource.dll and intresource64.dll in the same folder as the add-in will help?
Posted 29 May, 2012 02:54:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

If you place the intresource.dll (intresource64.dll in case of Outlook 2010 x64) assembly to the same folder with your add-in, the assembly is not extracted to the temp folder on the fly. Therefore, your antivirus doesn't check and doesn't hold it (malicious activity is not suspected).

Please confirm that the issue comes from the AVG antivirus software installed on the PC. Note, I use Symantec antivirus and don't get such exceptions on my machine with Outlook 2010 x64.
Posted 29 May, 2012 03:50:20 Top