Accessing MailItem SenderEmailAddress property causes security prompt in Outlook 2007

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Accessing MailItem SenderEmailAddress property causes security prompt in Outlook 2007
Jeremy Lim

Hi,

When I tried and accessed the SenderEmailAddress property of a mailitem in Outlook 2007, I am getting the security prompt even though I already disabled it. This does not happen when I tried it in Outlook 2010. Is this a bug?

Thanks
Posted 02 Mar, 2011 21:57:04 Top
Renat Tlebaldziyeu

Hi Jeremy,

Could you please show me the code that you use to disable security warnings?
Posted 03 Mar, 2011 05:20:12 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jeremy,

Nope. Please note that administrators can use the Trust Center in Outlook to change the default behavior. According to the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226709%28v=office.12%29.aspx article in MSDN the SenderEmailAddress property belongs to the list of protected properties.
Posted 03 Mar, 2011 07:24:04 Top
Jeremy Lim

Hi,

I found the cause of this problem.

In Office 2007, we are using the Inspector.CurrentItem to access the current selected MailItem.
If we then disable the security and try accessing the SenderEmailAddress, the security prompt will appear. Instead of using Inspector.CurrentItem, I change the code to use ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1) and this fixes the problem.

However, this is not an issue in Office 2010. So I think this is a bug where the Security Manager 2010 is not behaving the same in two different version of Outlook.
Posted 03 Mar, 2011 16:28:03 Top
Renat Tlebaldziyeu

Hi Jeremy,

Do you develop a standalone application or an addin?
What version (with build number) of Outlook Security Manager do you use?

Could you please send me a sample project, which reproduces the issue (please see readme.txt for the support e-mail address and make sure your e-mail contains a link to this topic)?
Posted 04 Mar, 2011 03:31:12 Top