Bug report for Wix Designer 1.8.206 (VS2017)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Bug report for Wix Designer 1.8.206 (VS2017)
Some issues discovered in Wix Designer 
Alex Dragoner

Hi guys,

I have discovered the following issues with the latest version (1.8.206) of Wix Designer for VS2017:

• InstallAllUsers = true property translates to InstallScope="perUser" in Product.wxs;
  • MyPrerequisites throws "The path is not of a legal form" followed by "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error;
  • Changing from MSI to EXE otput in setup project properties causes warning LGHT1109: Found mismatched entry point <Product>.
  • Documentation is not updated to reflect changes in Prerequisites dialog.

Thank you and looking forward to updates...

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 06:53:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alex,

Alex Dragoner writes:
InstallAllUsers = true property translates to InstallScope="perUser" in Product.wxs

I've reproduced this issue and passed this info to the developers.

Alex Dragoner writes:
MyPrerequisites throws "The path is not of a legal form" followed by "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error;

I can't reproduce the issue on my side. When started, the dialog form shows the path c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper\. I wonder if you have this or similar path on your machine. Do you have an English windows or Visual Studio? I also suppose you need to install this package https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42638; it creates prerequisites in the path above.

Alex Dragoner writes:
Changing from MSI to EXE otput in setup project properties causes warning LGHT1109

I think this relates to WiX itself. I've created a new empty WiX Setup project, set the Manufacturer property, built the project, switched to EXE output and I see this warning (plus one more warning suggesting that I don't deploy any files).

Alex Dragoner writes:
Documentation is not updated to reflect changes in Prerequisites dialog.

Thank you very much for pointing us to this! I'm afraid this one is mine (:

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 10:37:31 Top
Alex Dragoner

Hi Andrei,

Thank you very much for your response. As always, quick and to the point - thank you!

Issue #2: The bootstrapper packages are installed with Visual Studio. I suspect, that the problem is that Vs2017 is installed (in my case) not on drive C, but V. Can you please verify that? I can reproduce it even with the blank project.

Issue #3: I'm not sure about that. When EXE is generated instead of MSI, Wix (at least v.4 that I use) expects bundle.wxs instead of project.wxs. This conversion needs to happen, I guess, under the hood when output type is changed. But this is your call. Another issue is that Wix Boostrapper projects are not (fully) supported by Wix Toolset. Try creating one using Votive template and you'll see that extended project properties are not there. Could you please look at that too?

Some additional observation - when I went ahead and changed the format to EXE (in project properties), ignored the Light warning and compiled it, I got EXE in the end, but it didn't run (not supported by windows error message). The icon was missing too, so, I guess, the compilation was simply not successful.

Many thanks for your help!
Alex
Posted 15 Dec, 2017 11:57:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alex,

Alex Dragoner writes:
The bootstrapper packages are installed with Visual Studio.

This isn't necessarily so. We saw this many, many times. And at last they provided a way to deal with this; see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42638. Please let me know,if installing it fixes the issue for you.

As to #3, the WiX Designer doesn't support this feature of WiX and we have no plans to provide such support in the future.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Dec, 2017 05:07:06 Top
Alex Dragoner

Hi Andrei,

I simply cannot install this package - it's for VS2013 (mine is VS2017). I also have all boostrapper packages installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper\Packages" (by default), including 4.5.2. Is there something else missing?

As for #3, what can I do to generate an EXE file instead of MSI using Wix Designer? Specifying just the right output doesn't work. Can you please recommend a workaround?

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 18 Dec, 2017 08:55:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alex,

Alex Dragoner writes:
I simply cannot install this package - it's for VS2013 (mine is VS2017). I also have all boostrapper packages installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper\Packages" (by default), including 4.5.2. Is there something else missing?

Okay. Try to install this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48132. Note that despite the title pointing to VS 2013, the System Requirements section on that page doesn't list Visual Studio at all. The result should be the following subfolders created within C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper:

- Packages
- Engine
- Schemas

We suppose you don't have the Engine (it contains setup.bin) and Schemas folder (Package.xsd) or both.

Alex Dragoner writes:
As for #3, what can I do to generate an EXE file instead of MSI using Wix Designer?

This product doesn't support generating EXEs. You should check what the WiX manual suggests to do.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Dec, 2017 07:09:44 Top
Alex Dragoner

Hi Andrei,

The suggested installer says that it requires Visual Studio 2013. In my case, Engine, Packages and Schemas are already installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper" directory.

Can I send you a log file (if you generate one) to help you identify the problem? Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 19 Dec, 2017 11:01:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alex,

Well, that is, I was wrong after all. Sorry for taking your time.

Please send us your .wixproj to the support email address; find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt; please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Dec, 2017 08:14:35 Top
Alex Dragoner

Hi Andrei,

No problem at all. I'm always happy to help.

The problem is reproducible even with the blank project I create using Wix Toolset v.4. I did send you the sample.

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 22 Dec, 2017 03:49:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex,

Is the issue reproducible with the stable version of WiX Toolset v3.11?
Posted 22 Dec, 2017 08:18:21 Top