Secman and Secman64

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Secman and Secman64
Installer information? 
Robin Anderson

I have an app that connects to Outlook using the Secman.dll ... Many users are now switching to the 64 byte versions of Outlook. I will not know what flavour of Outlook is being used when they download the installer.

[1] Is there a way to set up the installer to put either the Secman or Secman64.dll in the appropriate "Common Files" folder? ... or should I just install both of them?... and how do you register the Secman64.dll?

I read in a previous post the DLLs could be saved to the directory with the app without having to register it. Would this be an easier procedure to just put both versions in the app folder?

[2] Is there a way for my app (Delphi Seattle-10) to determine if its a 32 or 64 bit version of Outlook? Or, does it matter?

Thanks for any guidance!
R
Posted 11 Apr, 2016 18:40:45 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Robin,

Robin Anderson writes:
Would this be an easier procedure to just put both versions in the app folder?

Most definitely this would be far easier as this doesn't require a) determining the bitness of Outlook installed, b) registering this or that (or both) secman DLLs. Just put both files in the application folder.

Robin Anderson writes:
[2] Is there a way for my app (Delphi Seattle-10) to determine if its a 32 or 64 bit version of Outlook? Or, does it matter?

This doesn't matter. For those who has found this page, here's this method:

How to find if Office 64-bit is installed on the target machine

Remember that the 64-bit version of Office can be installed on Windows 64-bit only.

If Outlook is installed, then the value below exists in this registry key:
Outlook 2010-2016:
Registry view: both 32-bit and 64-bit
Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\{14, 15 or 16}.0\Outlook\InstallRoot
Value name: Bitness

That value can be "x64" or "x86"; "x64" means Outlook 64-bit is installed.

If Outlook is not installed, you can check the following values in the following 64-bit registry key:
Excel, Word, PowerPoint 2010-2016:
Registry view: 64-bit
Key: HKLM\Microsoft\Office\{14, 15 or 16}.0\{application}\InstallRoot
Value name: Path

If that value exists, then the corresponding 64-bit application is installed.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Apr, 2016 06:34:50 Top