Designer Wix Toolset File Types

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Designer Wix Toolset File Types
File types end up with re-launch of installer 
Steve Levitt

I have a fairly complex installer, with multiple exes installed. I created a file type association to launch a particular one of these exes for files of type ".emz". After installation, whenever I double-click a ".emz" file, the installer is launched instead of the executable.
I checked the target file system and the applications are all installed and intact. I can run the application, and open the ".emz" file from it without a problem. I can run the application from a command line prompt with a ".emz" file as an argument, and that works.

Any ideas?
Posted 04 May, 2015 15:05:59 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Posted 05 May, 2015 05:36:57 Top
Steve Levitt

I looked in the registry. I found the "hkey_classes_root\myappname\shell\open\command" key and it had two values inside:

default (reg_sz) which was set to ""C:\Program Files (x86)\myproduct\myappname.exe" "%1"
command (reg_multi_sz) which was set to "%zU23[w6=A!BR{$_(qu4>GoZwd*_yX?[D2,SkibfH "%1""

I checked, and both these values are being created by the .msi
I then renamed the "command" value to "__command", and double-clicked my ".emz" file, and this time my app ran ok and opened the document without trying to run the installer again.

Looks like it is the msi which creates this "command" value in an attempt to let Windows know if myapp needs repairing (i.e. re-run the installer) when someone double clicks the .emz file. I've no idea why this is not working correctly. I finally got around it by creating a custom action in the commit phase to delete the "hkey_classes_root\myappname\shell\open\command\command" value.

Regards,
Steve
Posted 07 May, 2015 14:13:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for letting me know!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 May, 2015 07:23:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Steve,

Do you have a simple solution that reproduces the issue? If so, please send it to the support e-mail. I will test it on my PC.
Posted 08 May, 2015 09:27:47 Top